Knee protection

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Re: Knee protection

Postby kembro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 am

Even though I didn't like my asterisk braces, I often wear simple elbow and knee/shin gaurds that fit in my boots too, enduro gear. Great for stopping the annoying knocks and bruises that come from pushing your limits. It can restrict movement sometimes but the extra confidence makes up for it.

I have had a bad habit of grabbing the bike out and mucking around in work boots with no helmet. Got a wake up call from the US trials site, where someone was killed in their backyard by an obstacle without a helmet, and he was a regional champion rider.

Chappy
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Honda TL250

Postby Chappy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 pm

I had a knee opp in May 09 after tearing two cartlidges and tearing the crutiate ligament. i have since bought a pair of pod knee braces from ballards in sydney.$1,000. I have been back on the trials bike and the enduro bikes for three rides on each. I love the pod braces and will never ride without them. My knee injury was not from a bike accident.

Chappy

Chappy

RMJay84
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: KTM 300

Re: Knee Braces - morph's are the go!!!

Postby RMJay84 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm

davo wrote:The Asterisk braces were lace up and I didnt really like the idea of that.

The laces are used to adjust them the first time you put them on, after that they use clips which are quick & easy.

2014 Gasser TXT Pro 125

Tfos1
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: RL250

Postby Tfos1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 am

As a purely personal opinion, I don't ride ride without kneeguards, not even on the Monty pushie.

I have a skanky pair of AXOs which I've had 20 years or more and always complained that I never liked, but I've somehow never bothered to replace them. I also have a pair of custom-fitted CTi braces I wear for motocross and enduro. The braces and guards are designed to offer different types of protection. The braces are designed to minimise hyperextension and torsion injuries. That's why the motocrossers wear them. They're throwing the weight of the moving bike on their knees a lot.

With braces, you won't get what you don't pay for. CTis might seem expensive - they are! - but they're lifetime guaranteed and offer the kind of protection no off-the-shelf item can match. There's no other way to approach the comfort, either. Check with your health insurer. CTis are a medically certified device and some funds will offer a rebate that makes them very affordable.

I'm a crap rider, and I fall off a lot, but I don't motocross my way around the sections, so I wear the hard-plastic kneeguards in trials. If I do slam my patella into a rock - a very likely occurrence - I have some protection from impact and penetration.

But then, I'm such a dork I wear a safety jacket as well.

If I could ride as good as the pros I probably wouldn't need any of that protective gear.

Just a personal opinion, for what it's worth.

TF

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”