Riding in the wet

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Riding in the wet

Postby David Lahey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm still looking for a diagram to use to explain why shaft drive bikes lift at the rear under accelleration. Meanwhile, here is a link to a forum discussion on the topic amongst riders of shaft drive bikes.
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44849

relax, nothing is under control

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:20 pm

well all I can say is that I used to have an NTV Honda shafty and I could not feel anything that was not better than a chain drive and it made me wonder why there wasn't more of them. espesialy in an envronment with alot of dirt. I always felt that you could have a much more acurate feel of when the back wheel was about to spin because there was no chain slack to take up. I know there is some slack to take up, ( lets call it cog gap ). but it realy is minimal.

How about a 4 stroke 450 cc , twin shaft drive ( no proper swing arm just the two shafts ( it would not need an outer to the shafts as the one on the other side would negate the need)), the reason I say 450 is that I know shaft drive does suck some power.

Maybe this is a bit off topic and we should be having one called tech dreams or something.

Gordon

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 pm

gordonmichaellee wrote:I understand all that but I'm not sure you are right about the shaft drive. Please explain.

cheers gordon

'Cos bikes with shaft drives are so slow, when the lights turn green the car/bus behind you will push you along for the first 30 metres.

Up one gear in the wet.

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Postby kembro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 am

4PSI in the rear, if it isn't already, may help.

Not sure about jumping on the slippery logs, but I find when tackling slippery slopes. The keys are enough momentum, rolling off the throttle as speed slows and using a light pulsing throttle with my weight on the back when all else has failed.

I got a big lesson on hill climbs the other day. Forgot to cross the bike on the slope after failing the climb. Started slipping backwards on the front brake. Thought "i'll be right, just slide back down", but my line had changed and slid back into a tree branch that got me in the lower back. My shoulders and head went back over the top as the bike dragged my legs and hips underneath. No injury luckily, but didn't like the sound my back made. So i'll be crossing up on the slope in future.

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”