Southern Qld Trials Assoc. (SQTA)

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Southern Qld Trials Assoc. (SQTA)

Postby Twinshock » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 am

It was great to see so many old faces at the SQTA's first event and even better to see so many people willing to help out.
Frantic Fanticman

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Southern Qld Trials Assoc. (SQTA)

Postby lukesta888 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Frantic Fanticman,

Can you please enlighten the rest of us that know nothing about the SQTA ?

I personally would like to know about who is involved in the club and how it came about.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes - bravo SQTA - well done

Luke I know a bit about the SQTA. SQTA members are some of the people you will have ridden with at MA trials held in the SE Queensland area and who have organised themselves to the point of being able to run trials events outside of the MA system. You should have picked up from the trial report that there are some differences in the way the SQTA intends to run events and manage membership, compared with the three/four SE Queensland MA afilliated trials clubs.

The concept of running trials events outside of the MA system is not new. Our club (Rocky Trials Club Inc) based in Central Queensland has operated very successfully outside of the MA system from the 1980s. Many members of our club (RTC Inc) also enjoy riding MA events in SE Queensland and are also members of the MA afilliated clubs.

I would suggest a good place to start for more info would be to contact one of the people shown in the photo. If you don't recognise anyone, try Ian Rogers (who posted the ride report)

relax, nothing is under control

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi
I am one of the managing team founders of SQTA. We formed the assoc. after several club members were disallusioned about the way Mototrials was being regulated, and felt that we could do just as good a job at much less cost to the riders without sacrificing safety or quality of the events.
We set up the administartion correctly and with legal advice and can now look forward to many enjoyable events over the next twelve months.

I can provide much more detail "off the air" and we will be happy to discuss any aspect with you. Please provide contact details and I will call or email you.
Frantic FanticMan

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:47 pm

In the news article it refers to invited guests & members. Will the trials held next year be open to all riders or only a selected few? What would be the basis of selection?

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm

well as this is the first time i have also heard of this club and i am very interested to know more about it.

If you'd prefer you could pm me with some details or contact me on ncb_009@hotmail.com just to give me some more insight. It would be greatly appreciated!

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi
For the trials next year we will have a larger member base by then but we will still invite riders to come to one of our meetings where they will need to fill in a club membership application form which will allow them to become an associate member for the day. At this point the total cost for a non club member will be $25.00 for the day and also be aware that no competition licence will be required, a considerable saving for the average family guy with one or two kids that are keen to participate.
The riders club membership application form will be assessed by the SQTA managing committee before full club membership is granted.
If you require further info give me some contact details and I will contact you direct

Frantic Fanticman AKA Twinshock

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:32 pm

Might I add that the club has been formed for three main reasons:
1. the ever increasing costs to enter events combined with the recent fuel spike
2. the increasing beauocracy and regulation that comes with affiliation
3. to take control of our own destiny both finacially and psycologically i.e. the stress that comes with a minority doing the work for the majority.
Hence we are capping our Membership at 50 Adult riding members (at this stage) to keep it managable with new memberships to be invitees only whom the Management Committee considers will contribute to the overall success and running of the club i.e. there will be no Gold Card Members invited nor tolerated within this club. You either do your bit or you will be asked to "get on your bike" so to speak. This may seem harsh but why is it we turn over Executive Committees in the "other" clubs on such a regular basis? Due in no small part to the frustration of continually trying to get volunteers/club members to do their bit me thinks.
As Frantic has indicated costs will be considerably reduced with all monies (after running costs) being returned back into the club for the benifit of the members.
We don't intend putting up a rabbit proof fence but anyone who would like to be part of the plan should ensure that they are doing it for the right reasons before approaching us and not to expect a free ride.

"The older I get the better I was"

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Franticman!

can you please email me some info to

seaborn@people.net.au

cheers

Chris Leighfield
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Sporting MCC

Postby Chris Leighfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Good luck to SQTA. They have made a bold step in the interests of giving competitors a fair deal. This is particularly appropriate to riders just starting out, allowing them to get started without having to fork out too much money.
Attending one day of the Australian Championships last weekend, I did hear that some murmurs had been made regarding an unaffiliated club and what might happen to MA licensed riders if they compete in a SQTA event.
Remember that we are all keen motorcyclists, trying to further the sport and therefore we should all be pulling together to achieve this end.
Before any nastiness starts, for the benefit of the majority who probably don't know, I would like to relate a story of a similar situation which occurred in UK.
The Auto-Cycle Union (ACU) of Great Britain is the governing body and is affiliated to FIM. It is subdivided into 17 LCBs. I lived in the domain of the Midland Centre of the ACU. However, in this region there was an unaffiliated organisation called the Amateur MotorCycle Association (AMCA). AMCA consisted of a number of clubs and was originally formed as the name suggests to cater for those competitors who were just learning or who would never reach the level required to get them good results in ACU events. What must be remembered here is that, in any Midland Centre trial or scramble, it was most likely that at least ten trade supported riders would be competing. Since the Midlands was the centre of Industry, it had more resident works riders than any other centre and this was probably the reason for the initial formation of the AMCA. Until the time I left UK in 1972, any ACU registered rider found competing in an AMCA event was suspended. This caused a great deal of hard feeling. Since those years though, both organisations got together and accepted that both had a very good reason to exist. Rules prohibiting riders from one organisation competing in the other were removed. The situation established was that riders could compete in events organised by either association. The conditions were that riders must obey the rules of the association in whose event they were competing. After all the years of bitterness and, quite frankly, actions taken which were far from the best interests of the sport, both organisations now exist in harmony.
To all those legislators in MA and SQTA, please let's start off with both associations existing in harmony. Motorcycling can do without years of fighting between two organisations both with the same aim - to further the sport of motorcycling.
Thankyou.

Chris Leighfield

Return to “News article discussion”