RETURN THANKS FROM THE WALLACE FAMILY

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

RETURN THANKS FROM THE WALLACE FAMILY

Postby BAT Woman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:29 pm

RETURN THANKS
HOWARD JOHN WALLACE
28 OCTOBER 1958 – 15 SEPTEMBER 2008

DI HAS ASKED ME, ON BEHALF OF THE WHOLE WALLACE FAMILY, TO THANK EVERYONE IN THE TRIALS COMMUNITY FOR THEIR WONDERFUL SUPPORT, LOVE & SYMATHY DURING HOWARD’S BRIEF & BRAVE BATTLE WITH MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE.

IT WAS SUCH A TOUCHING TRIBUTE TO ONE OF OUR MUCH LOVED BROTHERS IN THE TRIAL’S FAMILY, WHEN IT SEEMED LIKE EVERYONE JUST PULLED TOGETHER FOR THE COMMON GOOD OF HOWARD & HIS FAMILY DURING HIS LAST YEAR WITH US. HOWARD’S 49TH BIRTHDAY PARTY, THE HUGE FUND RAISING RAFFLE & QUIZZ NIGHT, THE HOWARD WALLACE MASTERS SHIELD. THE ENDLESS STREAM OF VISITORS, THE OFFERS & DEEDS OF SUPPORT WERE EXEMPLARY.

THEN, THE CELEBRATION OF HOWARD’S LIFE, ON 20 SEPTEMBER, WAS EXACTLY THAT. IT WAS HUGE & IT WAS SO COMFORTING FOR THE WALLACE’S TO HAVE SO MANY TRIALS FRIENDS THERE. THOSE WHO COULD NOT MAKE IT SENT TOUCHING SYMPTHY CARDS & LETTERS, ALL GREATLY CHERISHED, AS WELL AS ALL THE PHONE CALLS.
MATT’S WORD’S, ABOUT HIS DAD, WERE JUST AMAZING & I AM SURE WILL BE FONDLY REMEMBERED BY ALL WHO ATTENDED. I COULD SENSE HOWARD’S PRESENCE & HAVING A LAUGH AT HIMSELF, WITH US. BUT ABOVE ALL, I COULD FEEL HIS PRIDE IN HIS FAMILY, HOW THEY RALLIED AROUND HIM & MADE HIS LAST YEAR SO SPECIAL. THEIR LOVE & SUPPORT WERE PALPABLE & FOR ALL TO SEE. DI’S LOVE & HER ATTENTION WAS TOTALLY FOR HOWARD, SHE WAS AMAZING! SHE MUST FEEL INCREDIBLY SATIFIED THAT SHE DID EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO HELP HOWARD DURING HIS DARKEST HOURS, AND THEN TO HAVE EVERYTHING EXACTLY HOW HOWARD WANTED IT, AT HIS FUNERAL. IT WAS A REAL TRIBUTE TO THEIR LOVE & FRIENDSHIP.

NOW, DI, MATT, DYLAN, FRANK & NANCY WILL START ANOTHER JOURNEY, LIFE WITHOUT HOWARD. I IMPRESS, ON US ALL, THAT THEY WILL STILL NEED OUR SUPPORT, LOVE & STRENGTH TO MAKE THEIR INDIVIDUAL JOURNEYS, THROUGH THEIR OWN GRIEF. I AM SURE ALL OUR THOUGHTS WILL BE WITH THEM THIS CHRISTMAS & ALWAYS.

I HAVE POSTED A FEW OLD PHOTOS I HAVE OF HOWARD & HOPE OTHERS WILL FOLLOW SUIT. A BIT OF A MEMORY LANE FOR US ALL.

FOND REGARDS,

BEV
Attachments
Wollongong.jpg
Howell.jpg
Brindi Photo.jpg

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Re: RETURN THANKS FROM THE WALLACE FAMILY

Postby BAT Woman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 pm

JUST SUBMITTING SOME MORE PHOTOS
Attachments
West Wylaong.jpg
Hungry Creek crew.jpg
Hungry Creek.jpg

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:35 pm

ONE MORE, FAIRLY RECENT PHOTO.
Attachments
2004 Presentation.jpg

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks Bev those 1970s photos are terrific. They certainly capture well the mood of the time for me - long hair, no helmets, riding in jeans, fun times. Looking at those photos I reckon you, Howard and I must be pretty close in age - I had just turned 16 when the TY175 came out.
In the photo with you crouching beside Howard's bike, do you know what bike it is that Fish is riding?
Thanks
David

relax, nothing is under control

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes, there were lots of fun times.
I turned 50 in July & Howard was just over a month from his 50th Birthday, when he died. If I remember correctly the TY175 came out the year we both tunred 16 also. So, Happy 50th to you, too.
The bike Fish is riding is green tanked Bultaco. Not sure on the year or anything, I did not take much notice of anything that was not a Yamaha, at that stage of my life.
Regards,
Bev

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Bev.

Your photos remind me so much of my own youth.

I'm visiting my own childhood home over new year. My parents have a great photograph there, which I will find and post.

1976; took the day of school to buy the TY175. Straight off the ute, hadn't even ridden it. Long wavy locks, jeans, no helmet. So innocent; carefree days, just like David recalls.

I'll ride that bike over the new year; and have a day just as good on todays Sherco.

..........................................................................................................................

One "Howard Story" ............. 2 years ago............continually stalling through the first round at a trial down south of Bredbo.........I ride successfully through a section on which Howard was observing.

"Eureka", I jubilantly claim.

Howard, being the DRY BASTARD that he was, was totally unmoved!!!!!

"Bloody miracle" .........he says........... then............ "is there any reason you want to ride around all day with the choke out!!!!!"

Howard knew; he could hear it........ "Fluffy"......... was how he described it........... what the hell is that!

Perhaps the innocent and carefree days of trials have wained slightly, but the sincerity of the people has remained.

To me that's pretty valuable.

Best regards you and yours over Christmas

Alastair

Return to “News article discussion”