Junior Coaching Day. Pacific Park 7th February 2009. UPDATE

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Re: Junior Coaching Day. Pacific Park 7th February 2009. UPDATE

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 am

Hi bigdamo,

Thanks for looking up the temperature stats of the day.... I'm interested to know which website you used to see the the past temperatures of the day?

Hi Toby,

I was there on the Sunday and saw you hard at work in the heat. :thumb:
But I had a conversation with Paul....I could be wrong (As I often "miss a lot") but Paul mentioned that it had hit 44 degrees (down where the display was) on the Saturday.

But even if I am wrong. The concept of cancelling an event on the day, after everyone has gone to the trouble of turning up seems somewhat odd to me #-o .....Don't you think it would make people think twice about coming to the next event?

I just love debating fact and figures of the past for no real benefit.....don't you? :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Well that clears that up then :D

I just wondered if you had read the questions I have asked you....because I've seen no replies there either. :lol:

But not being too concerned about that here's a story on the side.......
Quite a few months back my job was at risk and I was working all kinds of hours to keep it. As the weeks rolled on I started to resent the people I had worked with for many years because they were not at risk. Anger set in and I was snapping at people, casting blame and criticising everything they did. In effect my colleagues became my enemies. But after some time I realised that they were still the same people they had always been and they were not my enemy and didn't deserve to be treated as if they were. And when they saw I wasn't behaving like a nut case any more a few of them came up with an idea which effectively secured my job.

You see the people you share an interest with always want to align with you if you give them the opportunity to.....It's just a matter of consideration and understanding....

Best of balance.

Neo

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Just a thanx to Toby, Michelle & Macca for the great job they did on Saturday.
Shame we couldn't turn on weather as good as Saturday for Sunday's trial.
But hey, gotta learn to ride in the mud sometime.
Toby, thanx for pushing Jarad to have a go at the Log!
He's very proud of himself now.
Attachments
Coaching at Kiama 2009 (33).jpg
Jarad on "The Log"

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey Guys,
please read my post very carefully, my readings were not the actual temperature but the Wet Bulb Globe temperature. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) is a composite temperature used to estimate the effect of temperature, humidity, wind speed (wind chill) and solar radiation on humans. It is used by industrial hygienists, athletes, and the military to determine appropriate exposure levels to high temperatures.The WBGT index was developed by the United States Marine Corps to reduce heat stress injuries in recruits.
You were right Glaudio the actual temperature was 44 degrees, but in determining risk of Heat Injury the appropriate & international standard is WBGT because it takes into account the other factors. That is why I used it. Sorry to have confused you all.

Thank you for sharing this with us Glaudio:
"You see the people you share an interest with always want to align with you if you give them the opportunity to.....It's just a matter of consideration and understanding...."
I can only agree

And Big Damo:
"Because after all it is only a trials event"
My sentiment exactly. It is just not worth cooking ourselves for our sport, especially when the Hot Weather Guidelines have been developed to minimise the risk. We all need to pull in one direction here.
Thanks,
Bev

Gary Mc
TA Supporter
TA Supporter

Postby Gary Mc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 pm

This article is from our local newspaper two weeks ago.............
better to be safe than sorry.
cheers
Gary Mc

HEAT STRESS DANGERS

ALAN Byrne’s life was forever changed three years ago after heat stroke left him with severe brain damage.
The Berwick man, 32, was working in scorching weather as a brickies’ labourer in Queensland.
On the second consecutive 40C day he realised he wasn’t feeling well and left work early to head home.
But Mr Byrne never made it.
He collapsed into a coma and spent four weeks in hospital.
Mr Byrne survived, but was left with significant brain damage. He now has double vision, his speech is slower and slurred and although his legs still work, a loss of balance has confined him to a wheelchair.
Mr Byrne also needed facial reconstructive surgery after the bones rotted away as a result of extreme dehydration from hours of hard labour and a lack of fluids. Mr Byrne said “every organ failed except my heart”.
Mr Byrne is receiving physiotherapy at Cranbourne Community Rehabilitation Centre.
His physiotherapist Lorraine Lourensz said: “the message is to not take the heat lightly, respect the sun, keep in the shade and wear a hat.
“Watch out for the symptoms of feeling nausea.”

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 pm

BAT Woman wrote:The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) is a composite temperature used to estimate the effect of temperature, humidity, wind speed (wind chill) and solar radiation on humans.

Hi Bev,

This is really useful info.....I've often noticed that some high temperature days have been easier to ride than others of similar temperature days. I've always put it down to humidity or the likes, but never quite understood it. Is it possible to get WBGT locational forecasts or is it something just measured on the day?...If so, what website can I find this on?

Best of balance.

Neo....(and for this one and only time Claudio :wink:)

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey Claudio,
it is very interesting & useful. You go to the Bureau of Meterology website & look up WBGT & your area, it is updated hourly. I was actually going to post this information as I thought, if nothing else this thread has made those who have read it more aware of the dangers of Heat Injury & how to assess the risk. As I gather now everyone agrees that the Junior Coaching Day was cancelled for all the right reasons.
As for when the day was cancelled, we all have our own opinion. As I said previously I knew it was going to be hot but it was Thursday before I was aware that it was to be so extreme. As soon as I realised, did my homework, I notified the promotor of my advice. I was told that it would be discussed with the head coach that night & they would make a decision. I was then notified during the day on Friday that the event was cancelled & it was posted on TA website. As far as I am concerned it was not decided the night before. Personally, though I would have been annoyed if I had packed, risen very early, travelled for 3 hours to find out on arrival that it had been cancelled & had to drive back another 3 hours. So, for me, cancelling the event Friday was preferrable to cancelling it on the day.
Bev
PS what an awesome shot of Jarrod, Gary.

Return to “News article discussion”