TY175 clutch adjustment

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

wil
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175

TY175 clutch adjustment

Postby wil » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi All just hoping someone can help clarify adjustment to the clutch mechanism on my TY175B. Firstly when I put it in gear it pulls away with the clutch pulled in/ disengaged and is very snatchy when letting it out ( only engages in the last bit of lever travel).

I have the lever adjuster for the cable wound out to the limit and there isn't a mid cable adjuster to play with. I'm hoping there is adjustment in the clutch mechanism if I can get an understanding on the adjustment. I can follow the instructions until it states;

"Back eccentric adjustment screw out until axle lever shaft contacts clutch push rod inside engine".

my question is how can you tell it has contacted the push rod inside the engine when you can't see inside the engine ? is it a feel thing ? Any tips hints ect. Thanks in advance :D
cheers
Wil

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY175 clutch adjustment

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:28 pm

Yes it's a feel thing. You have to back off the cable adjustment first and then turn the adjuster that lifts and lowers the camshaft until you can feel the cam touching the pushrod. You will see the camshaft move up and down as you rotate the eccentric adjustment screw back and forth. It's a screw with a pin on the end that is eccentric to the screw. The pin engages in a slot on the camshaft.
Then adjust the cable. The ideal is to have the clutch start to disengage when the arm on the camshaft is at 90 degrees to the cable

relax, nothing is under control

wil
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175

Re: TY175 clutch adjustment

Postby wil » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Thank you Dave for the reply. I will give it a red hot go tonight.
cheers

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”