TY175 Right side crankcase

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

wil
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175

TY175 Right side crankcase

Postby wil » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi all. I'm needing some help & guidance from this awesome Forum here. I have been toiling away at getting my TY175B going after sitting idle for three or so years. So I've cleaned the fuel tank of old fuel & got ride of the rust, installed new points, coil, carby kit hoses & air filter. so after some fiddling & guess work it fired up & runs well but the clutch had a few problems as explained in another post ( jumps when put in gear & won't totally disengage). so I pulled the clutch out cleaned it, emery papered the steel plates measured the friction plates which are still ok as were the springs. couldn't get the push rod & ball bearing out not matter what I did. Tried grease on the end of an allen key, magnet, air pressure, flooding it out leaving on its side for a good while hoping gravity would get it out but no go. :oops: :x :shock:

Anyway I put it all together went to put the sump plug back in only to find it had stripped out :x , only to find the raised sump plug section (at sometime under previous ownership) has had a half of it break off & had been JB welded. :cry: :cry: . So Im not keen ATM to strip it down as I would love to get a bit of riding out of it then do a rebuild. so if any one has any ideas all brain storming welcome . Also if anyone has a Right side crank case they don't mind selling please let me know. I have had a suggestion of stripping it & have a block welded on & re drill & tap the hole but if I'm going that far I would rebuild the engine I think.
cheers

Wil

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Re: TY175 Right side crankcase

Postby Twinshock200 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi Wil
Sorry to hear of your problems but I can help with the crankcase right hand side.
I have several sets of Ty175 crankcases and I can either sell you a right hand or you can buy a matching pair.
Let me know, either on here or message me through the private message system.
Cheers
Galps

Pre 65 Classic bikes

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Will you can permanently glue in place the drain plug and next time you want to drain the oil just loosen off the clutch cover screws and open the joint a bit. Be careful with it and you'll even get away with reusing the same gasket. If not they are easily available and cheap.

relax, nothing is under control

wil
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175

Postby wil » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Thanks for the replies Galps & David. I'm thinking of giving a helicoil a go first & if that doesn't work an oversize piggyback sump plug, That's a plug inside an oversize plug so you can still drain from the plug. But an intact crankcase would be in the pipeline too.
cheers
Wil

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”