Suzuki RL250 Mania

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

BorisTas
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '12 Cabby , TRL260
Club: TMTC

Re: Suzuki RL250 Exacta Mania

Postby BorisTas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 pm

pipoca wrote:We've had some previous talk about 1974 RL's and lighting kits. Take a look what I fount for sale in North America. I would like to have enough cash to pick this beauty up.

Ebay Link

Picked up one nearly as neat almost at my back door have got full wiring loom lying in a box now, happy to look or take photo's if it will help any one

Some pictures
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/Boristas/RL/
and
Here http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w173 ... ay%20Arvo/

By the way does any one know the thickness of the spacer required to run a flat sprocket ??

"I'm all for buying more bikes more often. Why pay off the morgage or save for retirement or stick your money in super, buy bikes and live." {Craypot}

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Thats a ripper!

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 pm

BorisTas wrote:
pipoca wrote:We've had some previous talk about 1974 RL's and lighting kits. Take a look what I fount for sale in North America. I would like to have enough cash to pick this beauty up.

Ebay Link

Picked up one nearly as neat almost at my back door have got full wiring loom lying in a box now, happy to look or take photo's if it will help any one

Some pictures
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/Boristas/RL/
and
Here http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w173 ... ay%20Arvo/

By the way does any one know the thickness of the spacer required to run a flat sprocket ??

I believe it's 5mm. I am having a a spider spacer being profile cut to suit a TT500 ring sprocket. I picket the TT because it's a 428 pitch.
Can I help you out with it?

Is it time to ride yet?

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi Michael,

I have just been reading this thread. I am curious if you have solved your wiring problems? If not, let me know as I have a genuine suzuki RL250 workshop manual in excelllent condition. If you like we can scan the wiring diagram and email to you.

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:13 am

Greg. That would be very helpful. Thanks mate. my email is pipoca[at]exemail.com.au

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 pm

I was having a great evening tonight with my girlfriend in the garage. We were assembling the RL250. First, the new front brake cable. I am not overly happy with the feel of the lever but let's wait until I try it out. It's been a while since I have ridden a bike with drum brakes so I think I am too used to hydraulic discs (twin discs at that) and am expecting too much.
Next was the front sprocket. I bought it six years ago. I popped it on along with a locking washer that I picked up today from the profile cutter. Then, I assembled the sprocket spacer and the rear sprocket. After a little honing of the spacer centre diametre it fit like a glove. Perfect tolerance.
Next were the sprocket locking washers. I made them a little thin but they'll do the job.

Is it time to ride yet?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:32 pm

Buy an aftermarket front sprocket from any bike shop. Have a look at the JT sprocket website to work out which to get. They have spline dimensions for each sprocket they list.
The RL should be able to use a sprocket made for the Suzuki TS and TM 250 K, L and M models (520 chain and cheap as chips).
I've never heard of a TT500 that came with 428 chain. If it did it would last about 3 minutes.

relax, nothing is under control

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Dave thanks for the tips. I'm going to look at it right now. That will be great.
I just spent the last 3 hours making a spread sheet that can design me a sprocket in either imperial or metric dimensions as per a withdrawn Australian standard (There isn't a standard I could find on SAI Global to replace it).

I did think a 428 chain was light for a TT500. It didn't click. DUH!

Anyone need a sprocket to be engineered? I have a spreadsheet.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 pm

On Thursday I took my original RL250 front brake cable to a brake cable manufacturer. Having heard stories of reputation I assumed that this place would be reliable, especially when they made high risk components such as brake cables.
I asked for a copy of the cable with a modification for the assembly to be one inch longer overall. They wanted to butcher my original for the threaded components. I refused and requested a new original. They had the parts and it was no dramas.
The next morning I picked the cable up. I unravelled them and checked them for length. The new one was spot on an inch longer. The threaded adjustment at the hub end was 15mm shorter. This made it almost impossible for me to get the cable on when I installed it. So, I relocated my hub lever one tooth up on the spline. This reduced my braking power but I wouldn’t know how much until I tried it. At least I could get the cable on.
I got the cable on and it would work. I had to place the adjustments at both ends of the cable at their max length to get any tension. The front brake lever felt spongy as I mentioned in a previous post. I got on the bike and rolled it down out of the garage. With the brake lever pulled all the way into the grip I could still push the bike.
I hopped on it and rolled slowly down the courtyard. I pulled the front brakes on quick and I slowed to a halt very slowly. I repeated the test and SNAP! The cable broke right at the top brass barrel. I was annoyed.

Then, I checked the one thing I didn’t check at the shop. BUSTED! The shop had used 1.5mm stainless wire when the original has 2mm galvanised steel. The original is a gentle left hand lay and the copy is a steeper right hand lay.
I could not believe it. If I was someone who doesn’t test something before putting it to use I could have gone on a trial or been riding on the road and the first time I used the brake at say over 30km/h to stop within 3 metres I would be rooted. SNAP! Fallen down a ravine or t-boned a passing truck. Honestly, how can someone skimp on quality of a FRONT BRAKE CABLE? It’s shocking.
$88 for JUNK!

Following that shocking story I have some great news. :D :D I started my bike and the high and low beam works. The tail lamp works and the stop lamp is bright as. I am glad something is going right. You see. If you want something done right you need to do it yourself.

I ran the head lamp and tail lamp on one coil and the stop lamp on the second coil. I wonder if I combine the coils then I can get more brightness in the head and tail lamp because the stop lamp is amply bright. It’s all running on AC.

Because the coils are in different angular locations on the stator, then that would mean that the two independent phases are out of phase. Then, by combining them, they would reduce the amount of flicker in the lights. I wonder if it would work.

Is it time to ride yet?

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 am

Gday, combining out of phase coils will reduce the output, so that's no good for you. On another note, I just found sprockets for my mates RL, 428.
Numbers are -

Rear Sprocket is a RM 125A. In 428 chain, teeth 44, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 55. Obviously not dished so needs a spacer.
JT No. is JTR 809.(number of teeth)
Front is JTF 1559.13 from a Yam TW200. 14 teeth also available.

Supersprox part numbers are -
Front 10-TW2-14 also avail 10-TW2-13 (13 teeth - better choice.)

Rear 11-287- (44,47,49,50,51,53,55)
All in steel.

Cheers,

Stork

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”