Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Barry Pugh
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Fantics
Club: LRTC, SQTA

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Barry Pugh » Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 am

Hi fellas I have two stuck fork caps on a TY 250a I read David or chippy? one of the two had the same problem. What's the go? do I try and get some Bolt off down there and be patient? and yes triples released.

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa, SWM, Ossa
Club: TMTC

Re: Stuck Fork Caps

Postby Kurt » Sun May 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Have you heated up the Stanchion with the gas torch around the threaded area of the cap while trying to remove?

Ree
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Stuck Fork Caps

Postby Ree » Sun May 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Kurt wrote:Have you heated up the Stanchion with the gas torch around the threaded area of the cap while trying to remove?

No mate I haven't touched it yet looking at one day this week. Thanks will give that a go. I just haven't come across this before

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Barry am I imagining it or did your name change to Ree during this little string about TY250 fork caps?

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 09, 2021 5:00 pm

Kurts suggestion is worth a try and if that doesn't work you could try cooling it (dry ice is good for this).

Replacement caps are easily sourced if you need to drill/cut it out.
Also what's this you working on :yamaha s? I thought you gave them up ages back.

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Sun May 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Barry Pugh wrote:Hi fellas I have two stuck fork caps on a TY 250a I read David or chippy? one of the two had the same problem. What's the go? do I try and get some Bolt off down there and be patient? and yes triples released.

Hi Barry,
My tip is to use a single hex socket, cordless 1/2 drive rattler[or air], and compress the bejessus out of the front suspension -perhaps with a tiedown on a trailer.Then give it the berries with the rattler.
cheers and good luck

Ree
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Ree » Sun May 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Thanks, fellas.
Yes, David, I have forgotten my password and using Cherie's account again lol and yes just trying to finish of the last of my TY'S - well maybe last who knows whats left in the naughty corner probably enough for another 250

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Green Cotas

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Here's another green :montesa Cota 172 Greg Harding. This one is in Sweden
Attachments
183537700_10225817748499914_3820934178976277423_n.jpg
183537700_10225817748499914_3820934178976277423_n.jpg (469.03 KiB) Viewed 521 times
183549577_10225817746979876_5744577275690266768_n.jpg
183549577_10225817746979876_5744577275690266768_n.jpg (210.9 KiB) Viewed 521 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Model 49 with identity crisis photos for Robert Haigh

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 10, 2021 5:52 pm

I promised to show Robert some "before" photos of my model 49 Sherpa T :Bultaco: .
Home-made dual seat with 3mm steel plate base.
Bent flat rear frame loop.
Huge support bar for rider and passenger footpegs.
Extended brake pedal to reach front footpeg.
Mk10 :Bultaco: Pursang paint scheme. Can't see the 3mm thickness of spray putty under it.
Speedway handlebars.
Gas KONIs.
Attachments
IMG_0789a.JPG
IMG_0789a.JPG (529.92 KiB) Viewed 486 times
IMG_0788a.JPG
IMG_0788a.JPG (412.67 KiB) Viewed 486 times
IMG_0787a.JPG
IMG_0787a.JPG (574.06 KiB) Viewed 486 times

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:15 am

Interesting engine # on the M49 Dave

David Lahey wrote:
JC1 wrote:Yeh, nice job Dave.
The KTs look much nicer IMHO with half the sidecover blacked out like you've done.

Did you steepen the rake too?

JC1
That :kawasaki KT frame was from a trade with Greg Harding and I modded it as an experiment. It worked so well I decided to stop right there and enjoy riding it. There is a slight lengthening of the top frame tube and the "hinge" point I used is near the bottom front engine mount. The idea was to make more room for the rider by moving the steering stem 25mm forwards which in combination with the location of the hinge has made the rake slightly steeper. The steering effort at very low speed and stopped is now noticeably lighter. I was able to do a back to back comparison with Greg's :kawasaki to prove to myself I wasn't imagining it. While the effort is less, it still has the feeling of the steering sometimes pulling towards the inside of very tight turns, just as it did before the frame mod.
The new footpeg position makes for easier slow speed and static balance, but I find that my boots sometimes touch things that they didn't touch before.
Because the pegs are lower, the old high-rise custom George McKenzie bars were replaced with 6 Renthals to get my ideal stance back.
One interesting thing that came out of the frame modding is that the exhaust header is now further rearwards relative to the front tyre, which allows the use of triple clamps or fork sliders that provide more trail, without the front guard touching the exhaust header on full fork compression.

You may like to consider Kaw F11 triples to get a little more trail on the modified KT frame Dave. If I recall correctly they have about 10mm less offset than the KT's which might just be about right for you, and they are both alloy. Don't know about the distance between the tubes but the steering stem should be about the right length for the KT frame. I considered such a swap for my KT when I noticed it occasionally doing that tucking under, as you describe. But I decided I can live with that as I otherwise like the KT's steering, apart from the bike being a bit too front-heavy which is why I'd like to rearset pegs too.

Moving onto the little Italian 'lady in red' she appreciates all the compliments. I've never seen another Stornello in Oz, even in 'street clothes', but they're a dime a dozen in Italy where they sold in hordes as cheap commuters throughout the 60s. There was a Sport model (which this one is) and a production ISDT model too after they had won several gold medals in that event in the early/mid 60s.

This one was originally built by a chap in Rockhampton who fitted the TL forks, triples, wheels and (originally) swingarm. He sold it to a chap near Gladstone, which is when you saw it Dave. It would have had a big heavy green tank off a Yam CS2/3 roadie then. He onsold it to my friend Ross who sourced a Stornello swingarm for it and fitted the BSA B50 style tank. He figured the stock side-bowl Dellorto carb would hardly be ideal for trials and found that a TC100 Suzuki Mikuni that he had slipped straight on and the jetting "was perfect".

It's a sweet bike to ride, though needs a bit of development. Reasonably light (about 190lbs?), steers quite nicely with the TL front end (but steeper rake than the TL), wheelbase is about 1300mm from memory and plenty of ground clearance. It's quite 'grunty' and responsive down low, but tho its revs out cleanly there's not much there as it reminds you it's only a 125. A larger mainjet may help but the small aircleaner could be limiting that too. The engine is currently a bit tired and blows a bit of smoke. With the long swingarm and forward slanted cylinder it's a bit front heavy. Not easy to loft the front wheel

There was a later 160 model (5speed), bored from 52 bore to 58 on a 58 stroke, and it could really do with those extra cubes. Ross has already investigated fitting a 125 Honda piston which would make it a 150. There's plenty of meat in the liner to allow it.

The Italians have converted numerous Stornello 125s and 160s into gorgeous machines for classic trials, some taken out to 220-230cc.

Here's some samples/links to such eye candy.

https://www.bike-urious.com/1966-moto-g ... isd-trial/

http://www.moto-depoca.com/moto/nach-kr ... cc-pre-65/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/394698354828396757/

http://moto.zombdrive.com/image-makeTyp ... 1.jpg.html

https://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/mot ... -Norek.htm

(PS, Greg I haven't forgotten your suggestion. I'll post a response soon.)

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”