Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases STOP POLICE !!!!

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

Alastair, I took an original 175 seat and my aluminium base to the upholsterer to ask for his advice. He gave me the foam and a few tips on shaping it, there is two pieces about 25mm thick glued together. When covered the seat, he wrapped a lower density 12mm piece on top which gives more even radii.

Tee-Why, curiosity got the better of me, so I googled some Blasters, all of the ones I looked at had 4 wheels and kick starters. Maybe there are a few diferent models. A trials bike with a zipstart might start a new trend, restarting after stalling in a section makes for a whole new balancing act.

Forever keen to ride new venues, this however was not one of my better ideas . YES , that is a REAL f f f firearm attached to a REAL Policeman!!!!
Juan meant business, no more riding in his cafe and my bike has been confiscated! This puts next years TY Challenge in jeopardy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Tee-Why, curiosity got the better of me, so I googled some Blasters, all of the ones I looked at had 4 wheels and kick starters. Maybe there are a few diferent models. A trials bike with a zipstart might start a new trend, restarting after stalling in a section makes for a whole new balancing act.

Hi Greg, the YT175 trike you are referring to made in the early 80's, not the later 4 stroke 4 wheelers of the same name.
I have set up an album of photo/articles here for you to view:
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/subanator/YT175/

Also a parts breakdown is found here:
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-yt175k-1983_model8948/partslist/

As you will gather, it is the later DT/AG 175 engine base, not the earlier TY. The pullstart is in the left crankcase housing that bolts onto the flywheel, could be a bit too big width wise, but may allow for a flywheel mod attachment inside with some machine work I reckon. Dont know if there is a kickshaft output on the RHS, but sure a DT one would adapt.
The article mentions the '83 being more responsive and better bottom end that he '82. Maybe the differences for trials is either the '82 being less powerband is better, or the '83 better bottom end is better?

Now getting hold of one is rare, I have only seen 2x in the last 3 years for sale, wanting around $1000 for a complete running one, I havent seen a non runner to date. Too much for me to part out just for the engine.
Also where eligibility stands, sure its a mono based derivative, but a trike?

Cheers, Roger

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 am

Tee-Why wrote:I also looked into the Blaster motor some time back, but the differences I could see that would require a fair bit of modification would be to the entire bottom end. They had a pull start on off the left crankcase and different flywheel. The top end from a '83 model that had some improvement to the bottom end in an article I found and saved some where I cant find at the moment. These trikes are now rare beasts, and only seen a couple come up over the last couple of years for sale, asking price too much to part out just for a top end. DT175E/F/H/I bits are so much easier to find.

The Blaster seems very common in the US, and used parts should be easy to find on Ebay I would guess? The TY175 motor doesnt seem the ideal base for modifications, but i think the Blaster can be converted to around 250cc with too much problem, and 250cc in a properly modified TY175 chassis, would probably work pretty well.

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I did a bit of a search for the YT175 and found this, would have been a good buy for the winning bid and noting that they still come up for sale occasionally too.
http://tinyurl.com/6k5zbml
http://tinyurl.com/693yc8x

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Hi Everyone,

Forever keen to ride new venues, this however was not one of my better ideas . YES , that is a REAL f f f firearm attached to a REAL Policeman!!!!
Juan meant business, no more riding in his cafe and my bike has been confiscated! This puts next years TY Challenge in jeopardy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I love that photo Greg but there is a logistics problem developing. A lot sooner than the TY Challenge 2012 is Conondale 2011. What you are going to ride at Conondale if the stealth TY175 is being held at Dorrigo Police Station? You know I was hoping that you would ride an M49, but it still sounded a bit maybeish a few weeks ago.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Tee-Why wrote:I did a bit of a search for the YT175 and found this, would have been a good buy for the winning bid and noting that they still come up for sale occasionally too.
http://tinyurl.com/6k5zbml
http://tinyurl.com/693yc8x

Roger, the Yamaha Blaster is a 200cc two-stroke sports quad-bike not a 175cc trike.
I'm loving the TY175 with the DT175E based motor. The spacings of the gear ratios make it fantastic for trail riding. Unfortunately those same gear ratios mean that first is the only gear suitable for trials sections - second is like third on a TY175. I can't pick any difference in motor performance from a TY175. It has a TY175 carby, airbox, exhaust and flywheel. The radial finned head does look out of place and may cause it to fail an eligibility test due to the donor bike having the Yamaha cantilever rear end. It was made in 1978 though which puts it well inside the 1987 eligibility cutoff date.

relax, nothing is under control

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks David for correcting me, I always thought those quads were water cooled like the DT200 of that time, but its air cooled. Never had much to do with bikes that involve more than 2 wheels!

However the trials like exhaust on the YT175 says to me that the engine is tuned down for torque, just my observation. Anyway bit off topic, back to twin shock basket cases :D

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases M49 for Conondale

Postby Greg Harding » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

David, remember my stupid Conondale rule (can not ride the same bike twice), rode TY175B last year so it is ruled out! There was not enough space in the Dorrigo police cells, so the TY is in the front window of Juan`s cafe as a deterent, I am told.

Was unable to get to South Australia for the Aussie Titles this year, but managed to ride both yesterday and today. Had a few Bultaco fans come for a ride today and I am learning to never underestimate Bully fans. Steve is lending me his M49 motor and Graeme has just finished fitting new bearings, seals and rings. Unreal to get this help because without it, riding my M49 with friends at Conondale would simply be a pipedream. So yes, sometimes things fall into place and I am keen to support the Spanish Manufacturers this year, riding a Bultaco M49! Happy days!
Attachments
IMGP4583.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases M49 parts

Postby Greg Harding » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Everyone,

Bultaco fans seem to be everywhere, Phil has just given me some M49 parts, with more to come when he gets further into his shed. Obviously these have been sitting for a long time, out of shot is the original fuel tap. Think I will have to bore cap out of tank in an effort to save female thread unless anyone has a better idea?
Attachments
IMGP4690.JPG
IMGP4691.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 am

Greg

Re the cap - you could try Dichloromethane (methylene chloride as chemical paint strippers) - it should soften it sufficiently to dig it out.

Paul Mac

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”