TY250 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

TY250 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Postby tat ty » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm

So here is the quandry.

For some time now I've been umming and ahhing over whether to convert the ignition of my TY250 to Electronic.

I'm the first to be sentimental about originality, but if I look back over the past 15 - 20 years, I have been left wanting quite a few times.

Sure; I'll admit that my ability to maintain the original system is no doubt 110% of the cause of my downfall. There was a time that much joy came from tinkering with the mechanicals, but now I find life changes have rendered me time poor and there are many more "essential" machines that need maintenance and find themselves at the head of the queue.

I can grab a bike from the fleet, equipped with Electronic ignition and aside from carb cleaning issues, I'll be riding it within 15 minutes, despite it being unstarted for perhaps 2-3 years. It'll keep me smiling all day.

In times past, Electronic kits were both expensive and had no lighting provision, so that knocked out their consideration.

Now though I think the cost/convenience equation, coupled with the fact that most kits have a lighting provision makes the option quite viable to me.

So I'm hoping to hear from those who have made this change.

Was it worthwhile, which kits did they evaluate, what was the decision and why?

I'm not committed to doing it but any information will assist my thoughts.

Thank you all.

Alastair

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Re: TY250 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Postby Bully fanatic » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:59 pm

Hi Alistair. I own three Bultaco Sherpa Ts and I replaced the ignition on my M199B about 7 or 8 years ago now and that was the best thing I have ever done. I used an In Motion CDI and the auto advance is brilliant. It always starts and runs well. My other two only get used maybe once or twice a tear and every time I have to clean the points and retime them before anyone can ride them. So I say go for it!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:33 pm

Any of the popular modern replacement ignitions for TY250 work well. Rex's Speed Shop, John Cane, In Motion, Electrex World are the economical ones. Some of them advertise a version with a lighting coil.
I've found that for the level of riding I do, changing to an electronic ignition won't improve my score at a trial, but they definitely liven up the mid-range to top end performance (they make an big improvement for trail riding).
As for reliability, the two John Cane :yamaha TY units I've been using for many years have never needed any attention and same for the In Motion system on a :Bultaco: Sherpa T.
The biggest performance change on a :yamaha TY I've noticed compared with points was with a friends TY250A when he fitted a Rex's Speed Shop ignition. The mid range and top end performance on it was quite remarkable/refreshing and if I wanted another ignition it would be one of them. Bottom end performance felt exactly the same as with the standard ignition.
I still compete on one of my TY250s with the original ignition system and it is still a great thing to ride, starts first go every time and it only rarely gets a clean of the points. Come to think of it the last time I cleaned the points was after it played up while I was giving my youngest kid a ride with them sitting in front of me holding the bars, and she is now 22 years old.

relax, nothing is under control

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue May 02, 2023 7:43 pm

Thank you gentlemen for your considered and pragmatic responses.

Exactly the objective comments I was looking for.

I'll mull this one over and let you know of the outcome.

Alastair

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Well it has been a fascinating journey.

I elected to run withe the Rex's Speed Shop Pro ignition kit, complete with lighting kit.

It arrived and sat on a shelf in the shed for perhaps 6 months or more.

I mentioned this to our respected friend and colleague Paul Arnott, who offered to fit it, given he had fitted a few of these kits in his time; all with resounding success. Sleepless for a week with excitement, I grabbed the phone when Paul called me, but alas: joy was not to be. Paul was at a total loss .... ABSOLUTELY NO SPARK!

I picked the bike up, skulked off and it returned to the shed.

So a couple of weeks later, with no real answer in my mind, I tossed it on the roller starter .... NOTHING!

Sleeping on it , I decided to make a call to both David Lahey and Greg Harding, each of whom made many suggestions that I mulled over complete with a bottle Single Malt.

Certainly the suggestion that dwelt most resoundingly in my mind was Greg's comment that .... "You've got an old bike that has old bike problems and you've attempted to solve it with modern technology, but the problem still exists .... you've got to look at what still exists in the ignition system that you haven't changed".

The only thing unchanged was the Flywheel, but the magnetism seemed fine.

Both David and Greg had commented that although unlikely, flawless earthing of the engine to the frame would be paramount, so I pulled the engine out, filed everything to an absolute mirror shine and tossed it back in again.

Enthusiastic but pragmatic, I kicked and kicked, but to no avail.

More whisky.

Next day on to the roller starter in desperation.

EUBLOODYREKA .... off we go .... sharp crisp response ... pulling strongly on the couple of minutes in the paddock before back to the shed.

THEN NOTHING ON THE KICK.

Maybe I need to read the installation instructions .... that may be a good idea.

OOOOPS recommended plug NGK IRIDIUM. Perhaps well Perhaps .... clutching at straws I spent my $25 and in it went.

1st kick ... nothing. 2nd kick ... bloody hell , think it may just have given a slight kickback ....3rd kick whoooha , definitely kicking back. 4th ALMIGHTY KICK ....YES, OFF WE GO!!!!!!!

I've now perfected the start technique and I can report that the magnificent now 50 year old bike runs more strongly than I can believe.

FANBLOODYTASTIC OUTCOME!

Certainly a trying journey and if others can benefit from the story well that is also good.

My unreserved THANK YOU to Paul Arnott, David Lahey, Greg Harding and of course Rex's Speed Shop.

Alastair Farquhar

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”