MONTY 348 HANDLEBARS

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

escoe11
Junior participant
Junior participant

MONTY 348 HANDLEBARS

Postby escoe11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 pm

I have recently purchased late 70's Montesa 348 and have 2 questions:

It has 6inch Renthal handlbars but it is still too low for me - do any of the raisers or whatever they are called fit an old Monty? any ideas appreciated.

Also, I (and previous owner) have no idea what year the bike is - can you tell from the engine or frame no.? If so, where can i find out what number relates to what year?

Any help appreciated
Steve

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: MONTY 348 HANDLEBARS

Postby David Lahey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Steve the 348 standard top triple clamp is flat so raising the bar clamps only requires flat spacers with holes drilled and longer bolts.
Lowering the footpegs is a popular mod on the 348 and may give you what you want too
Have a look at southwestmontesa.com and you may be able to get close to working out when your 348 was made. I've not seen a definitive list showing exactly which ID number was the last in each model 348, but there are figures available of how many were made of each model 348 and from that you can have a reasonable guess what year it is. I think the figures are on that website.
There were three different tank graphics on 348s for the three models (1976, 1977, 1978) but apart from that they are all the same bike so it is hard to get too excited which model a particular bike is.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”