TLR Carbie

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Re: TLR Carbie

Postby Joe Henderson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 am

Dear Toby,

The last thing any of us twinshock riders want is you with a non-stalling Honda at the next round.

You may have stumbled into the centre of a compromise circle. This is mental device, loosely based on the friction circle of motor racing use.

Spaced evenly around the periphery of the circle are all the things you desire.

1. The fact that the carb works.

2. Availability.

3. Cheapness.

4. Suitability.

As you move towards one attribute you move further from the others.

There is one happenstance that can fold the circle so that all the points meet.

This origami moment comes around about once in a lifetime so should be used sparingly.

In your case it will manifest itself when you stumble, next Wednesday around tea-time, on an unopened box that has been donated by a local widow, who is exacting revenge for a lifetime of coming second to the bikes, by scrapping or giving away to the local village fete or swap meet, the entire contents of his shed.

This box will contain a carb, cable, throttle and manifold modification diagram all optimised for your bike.

You must weigh the immediate advantage of this occurence ( victory in the Post Classic division next weekend, which is a foregone conclusion anyway ) against the fact you might want to cash it in at a later date ( ie the discovery of a cure for cancer in a box in the carpark at the oncology depatment when you attend your first scan for bowel cancer in your fifties.)

Talking about things with round slides, I have fitted a round slide OKO Speed Carburettor supplied ready-jetted from Chris at Classictrial to my Fantic.

This works a treat. I think you should spend more money with him. The more you spend on the bike, the smaller, percentage wise, the seperate purchases become.

A result in anyone's book!

Regards,

Joe Henderson.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

Hey Joe, Translated does this mean Toby should ring Oko Aust in great haste to see if they have a suitable roundslide carby for the TLR.

Good luck to everyone in the trial and may the best Bully win(if theres one there)

Ross

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Joe Henderson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Dear Ross,

I wanted to buy a carb ready-jetted from OKO Australia.

I was offered a standard Speed Carburettor with standard jets, slide etc, whatever they are, and I was encouraged to buy whatever jets I wanted from their website at $12.50 each.

With my limited understanding of jetting basics this could lead me to spend anything from $240.00 to $300.00 depending on how much of a fist I make of the jetting ( see aforementioned incompetence ).

I got a bored out to 28 mm and ready jetted OKO round slide Speed Carburettor that works straight out of the box from Chris for $184.00 including freight and it dropped through my letter box in 5 days.

This seems a bargain.

I think that some manifold mods need doing to TLRs to fit an OKO.

Regards,

Joe.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Toby,

You can borrow my boozuka exhaust mod, some say it is actually a flat slide carby??

It also has so many other uses

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Geoff K
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR 250
Club: DMCC

Postby Geoff K » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Toby

My advise is wind the idle up so hi you can only stall the bike with the kill switch. This will help for the weekend anyway.
Maybe take extra fuel?

Joe

I'm speechless!

Geoff

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey Joe,
Your not the Rob Oakshott of the forum are you, that was some kind of a reply! :roll:

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Joe Henderson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:01 am

Dear Subanator,

If you mean The beseiged M.P. then please no!

If you mean the chap from the Isle of Wight Motorcycle Club whose main claim to fame was drowning his Sprite on five seperate occasions in the mid seventies, then maybe.

Predictions for the Post Classic results in round 2.

1. Toby, with the loss of 8 marks due to a five with a dead motor and three ones.
2 Geoff, with the loss of around 10 to 12 and kicking himself for the three uneccesary threes.
3. Simon Grist, on 18 and disgruntled,

And (depending on whether whether a few better riders turn up and Frank Hull is healed enough to enter)

4. Me, on about 28 to 40 and highly delighted with riding for another day in the bush at absolutely rock-bottom prices, talking bollocks and taking the piss out of the other riders while watching the best in Australia do their best to kill new Ossas.

Either way, a good time had by all.

Regards,

Joe.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 am

Joe,
I didnt know you had such a way with words! Classic..
I'll be riding the TY this weekend, the newer bike chucked its wet nappy in the corner and not playing yet..
So Post Classic will have another rider this year!

Feet up, as always!

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Be interested to see how your carby goes guesswho after talking to classictrial i was advised a OKO would need a lot of work to fit a tlr 250 & they don't sell it, but you could get a mikuni that will bolt straight on without any modifications

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Guesswho do you have a site where i could buy that carbie from? i've looked @ the OKO there would be alot of modification to make it waterproof even Chris @ Classictrials said it was cost prohibitive, i must admit i've seen an OKO @ i am abit concerned about the rubber gaskets @ the coating on the slide

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”