Great Youtube Vids for Newbies

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

Re: Great Youtube Vids for Newbies

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 pm

The music is a bit loud for my taste but the filming perspective is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCWnAn_Tays

Youth and novice class and only 39 views when I found it. Please enjoy and learn.

This youngster is just riding around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpXV6vxWsw

Will Ackroyd from the UK put the vid together. Have to say trail riding on a trials bike is good fun; especially, follow the leader.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 pm

OK, this is very different. A couple wise old men from the UK looking at the sport from their own unique perspective. This is just great video I reckon and much respect to these two, "old duffers" for sharing their wisdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08qARzbB698

Priceless! But helmets, gentlemen, please.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Went to Glenmaggie this Easter. My first trial ever. I had mixed results.

Day 1 was pretty good, I finished the three laps but was certainly tired and emotional by the end. I have to say that riding sections is physically and mentally exhausting, however, it was great to ride with other TCV club members and take advantage of their advice and support. Thanks, Ben, Noel and Sep.

Day 2 was a different story: Noel, Ben and I set off (Sep was observing this day) and I cleaned the first section of the day which was awesome! But before riding the second section my bike fell over off its stand and I broke my clutch lever and suddenly, I was under time pressure. After the repair I went to Section 1 because no one was there, and because no one was there to watch, I could not, for the life of me figure out how to ride the section. So I took a five without attempting it. This became a theme for the rest of the lap.

In retrospect, I should have said, OK. How can I do this with a one, or a two. I did not do this and I think, looking back, I had set too high a bar for myself by wanting to clean every section.

Before I go on, I should say a small thing about being able to carry out maintenance while completing a lap. On Day 1 my throttle decided not to shut off in a reliable way and I reckon it cost me fives on at least three sections on the third lap.

After changing the clutch lever over on Day 2 I had not tightened it firmly enough, and it would rotate around the handlebar in the middle of a section and I reckon it caused issues in about three sections on Lap 4.

I can't under-estimate the importance of a buddy while walking the section and for general support. My buddies/mentors were long gone after my repair on Day 2 and I had to rely on my own inexperience and lack of skill. This, along with my mechanical issues, a lost score card (which was found eventually), and helping out a lost child, I had collapsed mentally and never recovered. I quit during Lap 5.

I think I should have tried to find my club buddies, where ever they were at, and carried on from there accepting fives for the sections I missed. I did not do this. An alternative might have been to find another Clubman level competitor from another club and asking for help. Trials is a very friendly competition and I am sure, with hindsight, most of my competition would have been OK with this.

Other stuff to work on is understanding the section - I took fives for missing marks during my ride.

It sounds like I am complaining but I really am not. Glenmaggie provided a great introduction to the sport and I learnt a lot:

https://trials.com.au/news/2018-glenmaggie-easter-trial--photos-and-video-4383

My take homes were:

1. It is a mind game and despite the best of intentions things can go wrong, try and just enjoy it.
2. Be realistic about dabbing,
3. Take a 5 when you simply can't see how to get through,
4. Make sure your bike is set up properly (carry tools to adjust controls),
5. Ride with someone else, and
6. Balance, balance, balance and traction control!

I am looking forward to Series 1 in the state titles and in a way I am happy that these issues happened before that event.
Peter

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Peter. While I`m a QLDer I know the blokes you were riding with. I grew up with Noel. I carry a bumbag with a few tools if there is a long loop. If the loop is only short then I don`t worry about my bumbag. Always have your brake and clutch lever mounts a bit loose so if the bike falls over the levers will turn and not break. You will get used to walking the sections and working your lines out. This only comes with experience so keep riding. Remember you will not clean every section and you will find that a clean day is very boring too. TCV seems to be a very good club and you will find that nearly all trials riders will help you out. Some without asking but it doesn`t hurt to ask for a bit of help if you need it. Just keep at it and you will find you enjoy it more and more. It is highly addictive though! Graham.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi Graham,
Although I felt disappointed in myself after quitting on Lap 5 I have to agree it is an addictive sport. I just need to set more realistic goals for myself. At the time, I just could not see a way through.

Got to say though, that on that first lap, on the first section I attempted the adrenaline was absolutely pumping through my body. I scored a 1 and I, was, stoked. I needed that as a settler. Getting a 5 for missing a mark on the next section soon settled things down.

I cleaned the next section and that, boys and girls, is a rush. That is what we all like to aim for I guess - but maybe not when you are just starting out.

Hearing you about tools and setting up - thought my levers were loose but maybe not loose enough.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter

P.S. http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/mental-training/

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Item 1: Turns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TrNoq5SKI
This is from the Trials Training Center [sic] in Tennesee, USA.

This is a UK item from Ant on a Slant. It includes some Item 1 and Item 2 - straight lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVvvgtXjrA

Don't be put off by the road bike intro.

Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Creeks and rocks:
Calling upon my extensive knowledge of trials (five laps total) I can say that section setters do appear to favour creek beds - wet or dry, it doesn't matter. These are wet ones being ridden by the camera-person, Magic Mat from the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRdpsRwMsjo

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Walking and riding a section from Michael Waller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxNCYGGC56M

I have an older TY250 and I think there is some good stuff in here. Look to where you want to go and don't ride too slow.

More from Barry about walking the section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61_AGXTy83M

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 pm

A little less conversation and a little more action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgiai2Qi04

It just shows that mototrials does not require the latest and greatest, all competition, all bikes are legitimate.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am

Round 1 VTS at Segwick.

Arrived the night before and camped and with just two others about I had a quiet night.

Good to go the next morning but I did struggle with the off camber lines and long dry grass which was slippery. Traction was a real issue for me and even though I was much more prepared to dab this time round and I even paddled out on a couple of the sections I found the going challenging.

I took a five on one of the sections - I could not see how I could get round without getting hurt. That was sensible IMHO.

My issue, this trial, was remembering my lines through the section. Partway through I would sometimes forget my intended plan, or fail to execute it well enough, and then find myself in trouble as I tried to ride it through. My skills are not up to that. In retrospect, I probably should have stopped, foot down, and reconsidered my options. And gone on from there.

I really thought I would clean Section 1 but I took a higher grade line around one big rock but forgot to get back on the clubman line straight afterwards and I ended up in so much trouble I took a big tumble. My ribs copped a beating. WTF had happened? I think 'cleaning a section' sets a very high bar and sometimes I think that in itself creates a problem; at least for my persona.

I rode the next section on adrenaline and rode very poorly and I went to first aid. Who were great but my day was done.

Take homes for newbies or at least for me:

1. Forget cleans - be safe!
2. If you get lost in the section, stop, and reconsider where you go next.
3. If a particular mark looks too difficult then miss it or ride over the tape and get 5, at least you will have attempted most of the section. Who knows, the 2nd lap may be better.

My ribs still hurt three days later. So remember 1. Take care of yourself.

Peter

PS: Just signed up on line for the TDN fundraiser trial in Victoria. Not sure what that says about me.....

PPS: My ribs still hurt three weeks later - so, take care of yourself, no one else will...

Return to “Trials Talk”