Great Youtube Vids for Newbies

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

Re: Great Youtube Vids for Newbies

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Hope for me, yet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zDCTOY1r4
Thanks, Barry Morris.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 pm

From Wales, a trial just for novices. What a great idea. I think it would be nice to have a section or two set aside just for clubman level at a trial. It must be difficult accommodating all the different grades in the one section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdMnOwxHPDw
Robert Cobley provided the vid and I think many of us starting out would find this a tantalising challenge. The section setters have done a great job of teasing the novice competitors into thinking - you might just clean this you know. I'm sure that by the fourth lap some would have been too.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 pm

I rode in the TDN fundraiser here in Victoria. It was at Emu Flat (Nulla Vale). What a great venue - much appreciation to the landowners for letting us ride there.

Once again I camped the night before, but this time there were others from the TCV and Oakleigh clubs. No names, but, it got messy!

The next day, feeling surprisingly fit in spite of the night before, Paul Sens from TCV took me around the trial and he did a marvelous job with me. I actually completed the event to come second out of a division of two at clubman level. Admittedly, my score looked like part of a post code, and there was daylight between me and first place, but nothing broken - organic or mechanical, and at long last a result. I was stoked.

So the details:

I refused to attempt one section of the trial on the basis that something would have got busted up. This was a good call. I did see a junior riding the same line I would have been coming to grief.

There was one section that I tried on the first lap and would not try again until the last lap. 3 being better than 5. I would have loved to watch a clubman rider good enough to clean that one.

Some sections which required climbing out of a creek bed I never really got the hang of. Lots of 5s resulted and just one 3 which wasn't pretty to watch but at least I wasn't going in reverse.

After lap 1 I just took 5s for some sections. My skillset wasn't even close, but for other sections, I persevered and eventually cleaned the section. That, is a great feeling.

Take homes:

1. Have a mentor,
2. Take 5s for sections you reckon are beyond your skills,
3. Persist with sections that are a tease because by lap 3 or 4 you might just be cleaning or dabbing the one time and that is a feeling worth pursuing,
4. Note the things you are shit at and make sure you cover those at the next practice day,
5. If on an older machine - don't be tentative on the throttle - sometimes it is confidence that takes you through, and
6. Until you learn pivot turns or bouncing the front or rear wheel around. Use ALL THE SPACE. Yes, Paul, I heard you the third time but it is easier said....

Cheers to all,
Dr. Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Fri May 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon May 28, 2018 9:23 pm

No video this time just me sharing my albeit limited experience.

Rode at Mt Bolton in Victoria for VTS 2. What a sensational venue and, no creeks.

I think for the most part the sections were right for my ability. There was only one section I passed on every time, and I never saw anybody at clubman level do particularly well with it. I figure a 5 plus no broken body or bike parts is a win.

It was interesting how most of the sections gave you hope. And some, once mastered never presented any real difficulty again, but others would trip you up, so to speak, by letting you bugger up something you already did OK the first time around. Traction became an issue later on.

A couple of sections were straight in and out and a bit too easy IMHO. I think I was supposed to go the long way round and 'challenge' myself but I never did. Cleans are hard to get when you are learning but maybe next time I will or perhaps, one evilly set white arrow would have sent me off to an interesting place and made me earn that clean.

Have to say that traveling between some of the sections was pretty full on at times; my TY only has drum brakes.

Many thanks to the officials who cheerfully carried out their responsibilities. I like how the observers readily congratulated a triumph and commiserated with a less than spectacular effort. It was a great day.

Take homes:
1. Really walk the section. Study it. My first lap took 90 minutes the next laps were a third of that time.
2. Use all the space available in the section - every time I failed in this regard the section was heaps harder.
3. Confident application of mild to modest throttle will take you through a lot.
4. Moving all over the bike as you traverse a section will do the rest. This does come more natural with time on the bike. I hope so my bloody legs were killing me this morning.
5. Until you can hop or pivot turn practice full lock turns in both directions. LOTS and LOTS!

Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon May 28, 2018 9:48 pm

This came recommended by the Hell Team or another post. The vision quality is poor but the information is sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K__HHaoQg4I&feature=youtu.be

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Double blips - OK it isn't a trials bike but the guy does a good job of explaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEy7gonT0lo

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant