Setting Sections

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

Setting Sections

Postby Dr Peter » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Re: Setting Sections

Postby holster » Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Some vids at the bottom of this page also show some example sections

http://wdtc.org.au/training-tutorials/

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 am

This short video was done years ago (hence bad transfer quality) by the NSW Trials sub committee to help Observers at the time. Some points are still relevant.
https://youtu.be/K__HHaoQg4I

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks HT,
I put the link to this one in my videos for newbies post.
Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon May 28, 2018 10:19 pm

I am riding clubman and my experience so far mostly matches The WDTC clubman video. Very occasionally, it has been intro-level; what happened to that BTW?

Sometimes, the sections are just downright difficult with lots of, easy to misplace, white markers and techniques required that I have never practiced. Current hates are climbing out of creek beds and loose rocky shit.

I think teasing the rider is important when setting the section. You need to communicate with the competitor and say, not in words, hey, this is a little difficult for someone in your grade, and you might not manage it lap 1 but by lap 2 or 3, you might just have a chance. But don't forget that physical and mental factors play a hand in the latter laps.

People who circulate and feel they are not being asked this question probably need the next grade up, but I look at what those guys do and wonder, will I ever have those skills.

My last completed trial was 47 out of 200, the one before that was 117 out of 180, so the numbers say I am getting better. A lack of broken parts, biological and/or mechanical say I am improving too.

This is, a very addictive past-time.

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Apart from the sections the bike also plays a big part in starting off in trials as a TY250 is nothing like a Beta 250, the main factors are weight and power also the rider weight can play a significant part.

Personally I like something with a seat but that makes the bike a little bit un-competitive and would look silly on a Beta but blends in well with a TY 175-250 or a Honda TLR 200

I think initially we all want to be A grade after a couple of rounds, but it can take years of practice in fact I know I will never ever be that good but the main thing is the enjoyment you get out of it and trying to improve to a state where you are happy and not falling off all day like some people.... :mrgreen:

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Tue May 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Setting sections?
Wow, this is a bit of an art I think.
Obviously it requires REALLY extensive experience, PLENTY of intelligence, and maybe also a touch of mischievousness!

Junior line: Yes of course we want to encourage the kids, but we also need to challenge them a bit eh?
I'm seeing these as being just a little too easy recently (in Vic).

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Terry, there is something in what you say about the bike. IMHO I think good riders are able to overcome this a bit but until you reach 'good' then it's still a little problematic. It certainly is for this 57 year old.

Jools, I look at some of the young kiddies riding the same line as me and doing so much better than my lacklustre efforts and I just congratulate them. We had some straight in and out at Mt. Bolton and that isn't very challenging. A single white arrow pointing us away from the obvious line might be enough I think to challenge us, kiddies and older newbies, to improve our technique.

Setting sections is an art more than a science but it would be great to get a mathematician to run the numbers after a trial, cleans vs dabs and compare lap 1 and 2 and so on. Perhaps there's a PhD thesis there.

This kind of analysis could help section setters do their work better.

Like I said before, everyone at a particular level likes to think there is a chance to clean the section. Maybe not this lap but .....

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:54 pm

TCV put on a training day today and while only five sections were set, Benny and I found some of the clubman lines intriguing. We had some sections where there was choice about which way might be the best way to go. Each choice had advantages and disadvantages. This kind of option really lets the newbie carefully walk the section and think about lines. Excellent training.

We had other sections set that we cleaned one time, usually the second time through, and then the next run through there was a dab or two. This is superior section setting IMHO. Pretty much everything has to be close to perfect in order to clean (90%). A bit too much speed, or being knocked off line slightly, or not being confident/or over confident could be punished with a dab or two. Great stuff.

Now one section was a bit difficult for the clubman level. You see we tend to roll over stuff, if you want us to perform a small wheelie then we appreciate a little bit of time to prepare our body and brain. Especially on a docile TY250 anyway.

BTW, started to double-blip today during free-riding, now that is a useful thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBDQWUoOb2Y

Training is more fun than competing. There's no hand with five fingers in the air and no ticket puncher. And, you can have as many goes as you want.

Peter

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm

When you get to my age just staying on the bike is fun... :mrgreen:

Return to “Trials Talk”