Who wears body armour

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

bones1959
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1998 beta techno

Who wears body armour

Postby bones1959 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, and my bones don't heal as good as they used to.So im looking at some body armour, would MTB armour do the trick ,What type do you use
Thanks
James

mongerrr
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Who wears body armour

Postby mongerrr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am

I've been using the leatt 3df vest for the last few years. It has D3O spine and chest armour. The D30 doesn't feel bulky at all and the material for the rest of the best is similar to skins, so it's not too hot, even in summer. The link below is for the old grey version that I have, which is now at clearance prices.

There's an updated black version that has a kidney belt and is even cooler material. It also comes in short sleeve and long and long sleeve versions of you'd prefer shoulder/elbow armour. I have the long sleeve Black version for the dirt bike, so I can vouch for the armour for quicker crashes.

My opinion is that the vest is a good protection/heat compromise for trials, but if you want one set of gear for enduro and trials, get the long sleeve and take out the shoulder/elbow armour when you're doing trials

https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/leatt-body-vest-3df-02

motocentral
Dealer
Dealer

Postby motocentral » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Play with Gravity

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 am

Why is it that manufacturers of protective clothing for bikes all try some fantastic space age fibre and construction to make their products cooler for the wearer, and then dye it black to attract and absorb as much natural temperature as possible?

Why not say any of the multitude of colors that don't attract and absorb as much heat?

It doesn't make sense to me

bikerpete
B grade participant
B grade participant
Club: TCV

Postby bikerpete » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm also getting more fragile and slower to repair. I went with MTB protection as I reckon it's more suited to trials speeds and impacts than most MC gear.

Dainese Trailskin knee pads - very happy - good protection, comfortable, stay in place, better than most ventilation.
Troy lee Designs 7850 shirt - also happy with this choice, pretty good fall protection it seems, critical to me was that it covers shoulders to help protect AC joint and clavicle. Very light, flexible and reasonable ventilation. I find it needs a shirt of some sort underneath or it's very hard to get off (with shirt it's easy).

I'm tempted to move to a full face MTB DH helmet(for private practice, obviously not acceptable for comps or on public land) - way better ventilation than my Airoh which is reputedly one of the coolest trials helmets available, plus I wouldn't mid the chin protection. And MTB full face helmet chin bars are nowhere near as intrusive as MC helmets - my nose would limit my vision more than an MTB chin bar would!

Return to “Trials Talk”