Trials in Victoria - MV vs AMA

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

bforsyth
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gas Gas

Trials in Victoria - MV vs AMA

Postby bforsyth » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi all.

Looks like there is some debate on whether Victorian trials clubs and events will be sanctioned by the State Controlling body (Motorcycling Victoria).

I currently hold both an AMA membership and a MV restricted license. But my MV license will expire soon, so wondering whether I should bother renewing? I'm more than happy to drop it :D

I see that Glenmaggie will be run as an AMA event this year. Looks like OMCC has gone AMA for use of the club grounds.
Just wondering if the Victorian Trials Series is likely to follow suit? Anyone in the know?

Ben

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Re: Trials in Victoria - MV vs AMA

Postby eagle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:22 pm

I think the majority of trials riders would benefit from the lower cost of AMA, most riders aren't riding for Sheep stations & probably only ride when they can. The lower prices may even get more people involved in Trials ?

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Postby Betaman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

AMA are coming. When you have sub $20 licences then MA havent got a hope in hell of competing.

What will be interesting will be MA and the various SCBs responses. Whether they are going to be sooks or more mature about it. So far its the former.......

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

bforsyth
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gas Gas

Postby bforsyth » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm

I agree. But just hope that all of the Trials clubs make departure in a somewhat coordinated manner?
There is no benefit to riders if they have to maintain both memberships.

mattyl01
Website Wrangler
Website Wrangler
Bike: GasGas
Club: Matt Langtree

Postby mattyl01 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 pm

@bforsyth if I were in your situation I would hold out renewing your MA/MV licence until OMCC committee meet on 13th Feb for their AGM and club meeting. I would also encourage you and all other OMCC club members to attend those meetings, if you can make it.

More info on the club's website here: http://www.oakleighmcc.com/2020/01/2020 ... insurance/

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Difficult potential fragmentation. I have no axe to grind, (and I've been critical of MV excessive fees in the past), but is there any assurance that AMA fees will STAY low?

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Postby Betaman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Who cares? They have a buckloads of fee increases before they even get close to MA licence

Without pressure and competition from AMA , MA would continue on its merry way oblivious to the fact that their fees structures and charges was making it very difficult for lots of clubs and new riders.
And dont get me started on their bs rules and regulations, like the new one forcing all affiliated clubs to have to use that big big white elephant, Ridernet.

Yeah Im biased but Ive been around long enough to know that monopolies are no good for anyone.

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm

A lot of people and hence a few clubs have been wavering on the MA or AMA decision.

The exorbitant MA fees, and that white elephant of ridernet are part of the reason for people to want to leave the MA franchise.

The points keeping clubs affiliated with the MA franchise are coverage for property owners and clubs against liabilities etc. Once the 2 are on parr then this conundrum would be different.

Or if MA takes their fluffy pink earmuffs off and listens to the concerns of the members - without whom the whole game is over...

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
gasgasman wrote:Who cares? They have a buckloads of fee increases before they even get close to MA licence

Without pressure and competition from AMA , MA would continue on its merry way oblivious to the fact that their fees structures and charges was making it very difficult for lots of clubs and new riders.
And dont get me started on their bs rules and regulations, like the new one forcing all affiliated clubs to have to use that big big white elephant, Ridernet.

Just sharing that I have been following this thread since the first post. Like most people I suppose, I am curious to see how it all pans out and yes I have been doing my research on AMA for about 3 months now. On top of years of personal experience with SQTA listening to both Mockers & Haters and some stories are simply insulting to anyone who can see past their nose.

Interesting times have been had comparing notes with the fact suppliers within SQTA. My reseach revealed that ALL negative comments came from people that have never ridden a SQTA Trial! Obviously these are just my opinions. It seems to me that everyone needs a little arrogance to be successful at anything but arrogance can be a terrible thing!

Eagle makes very good points and pretty much nails the fundamental ideas!

Gasgasman also nails it and I personally could not agree more!

As for Ridernet, can the last person to leave PLEASE TURN THE LIGHT OUT :?:

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:28 am

Yes, gasgasman is probably right.
I must say that the one conversation I've had with an MV (I think, but might be MA) rep, I encountered a really arrogant, closed-minded, supercilious attitude.

Return to “Trials Talk”