returning to this sport

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

cedric van heerden
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: returning to this sport

Postby cedric van heerden » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 am

Shawn,
Go into your local Honda shop and ask for Kevin Gloss. He is a member of Western Districts Trial Club and a very good contact for older bikes. He is a good bloke to boot.
Hope to see you round sometime.
Cedric.

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am

Shawn,

I agree with the comments the other guys have said. If you look for an older Honda or Yamaha you should be able to get one, the issue with trials is there's never too many bikes around, but keep hunting and you'll find one!

A monoshock would be ideal, but even if you can't some of the twinshocks are still pretty good. I started out on a Honda TL125 and it was a great bike, reliable, never had an issue with it.

Anyway, let us know how you go!

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Oi!!!!

Wood'n how dare you talk about my CT185 ag bike like that. ( did somone say UGLY )It truly is a beautiful bike from a usability point of view. Just to give you an example it has a side stand on each side.

But seriously as a spare bike and one for people to learn on etc. its great.

I do understand why it might not suit if its your only bike. ( certainly not a chick magnet )

Cheers Gordo

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Postby kembro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:54 am

The neighbors and us, used to use the TL125 as high country farm bikes in NZ. Great bikes and the Honda reliability is awesome, in the older 4T's. Shame the same can't be said for CRF's.

Don't know if the TLR was better or worse handling than the TY Yamaha's, but the bloke next door to us used to be able to ride over unbraced 200lt drums on it. Much to everyone else's amazement. Plus they could climb like mountain goats, handy for heading off that sheep that wants to not go through the gate and bolt back up the paddock.

Good luck with the search.

motodevo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby motodevo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:50 am

Heres a pic of my 950buck trials bike, just to show you what can be found for under a grand, not everyones cup of tea but has proven to be reliable so far, haven't had to do any repairs in the last few years but i do overservice her, and i dont compete on it just bush bash. The eighties bikes are good if you want something to use in the bush as the tanks are bigger and the is a seat of sorts

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Postby kembro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Cool Bush Basher, even more capable than the TLR or TY's. Are Fantic's easy to get parts for still?

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 pm

kembro wrote:Don't know if the TLR was better or worse handling than the TY Yamaha's
They did not have the handling of the yamaha's at the time. The TLR was released mid to late eighties with twinshock suspension in competition to the new monoshock TY's. The RTL was Honda's serious competition bike of that time. It had a monoshock and was ridden by Steve Saunders in the world rounds. He had the same sponsor (rothmans) and same paint scheme as Wayne Gardner's and Mick Doohan's road race bikes had at that time.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 pm

wood'n wrote:ok then, if i wait i should be able to find somthing.
With no offroad riding in the last 15years, mid eighties would do me fine, as for the one who suggested a agie bike, I dont think so, I do have some standards.
so around 1000-1500 should pull it up somewhere, i'm not going to try and win the aus championships, all i want is a bike i can go out on a sunday morning and enjoy myself without the pressure of going flatout thru the bush on a endruo and hurting myself, i'm not twenty any more and being self employed i cant afford it.
Cheers, Shawn

hey Shawn, like Gordo said, the CT185 is no chick magnet, but the guy Cedric suggested you to go talk to at the Toowoomba Honda shop may well give you a bit of a surprise if you go out riding with him on his CT185.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Trials Talk”