new to site but my riding hobby never gets old

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty 175 b

Re: new to site but my riding hobby never gets old

Postby nazzy175b » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:07 am

thanks for the manuals link David ,I wasn't planning to road ride it ,at a guess it looks like the front could be a 14 so its geared 14/48 ,12/51 sounds the go .its running a premix set up ,would 30:1 be ok ? ,the needle was at 4 clip ,ive just changed it to 3rd clip just to lean it out a touch ,running ngk B7ES ,any jetting tips mate ? and a good front tire ?im not going to be doing crazy stuff on her just a bit of balance training,pivots and log hops etc ,thanks again mate for your help ,cheers Greg

some days you just have to ride !

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nazzy175b » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:09 am

PA , thanks for the manuals link cheers GREG (Y)

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:11 am

nazzy175b wrote:thanks for the manuals link David ,I wasn't planning to road ride it ,at a guess it looks like the front could be a 14 so its geared 14/48 ,12/51 sounds the go .its running a premix set up ,would 30:1 be ok ? ,the needle was at 4 clip ,ive just changed it to 3rd clip just to lean it out a touch ,running ngk B7ES ,any jetting tips mate ? and a good front tire ?im not going to be doing crazy stuff on her just a bit of balance training,pivots and log hops etc ,thanks again mate for your help ,cheers Greg

Standard jetting is pretty close if you have the standard carby, standard reeds and standard exhaust. I can't see which Ty175 carby is on it in your photo. Look for the model number on the side of the carby. Is it "525" or "1N4". If it is 525 then the standard main at #240 is usually a bit big and the rest is perfect standard. Standard jetting will be in the manual
That sparkplug heat range is a bit too cold for trials. A B6ES is the go and set the gap to 0.4mm to 0.5mm
30:1 oil mix is OK but you can use less oil if you are trials riding. I use 40:1 semi synthetic for trials.
Good front tyres that are easily available in Australia are Dunlop and Michelin. IRC are good too but I can't seem to buy them anymore. Its important for the steering to work nicely that the front tyre construction is not too stiff. Some other brands are too stiff

relax, nothing is under control

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nazzy175b » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 pm

thanks guys all the help ,have been putting around every arvo and just making sure all the nuts and bolts are tight and where they should be ,, the carb has 525 -60 stamped ,ive done a few things on the cheap ,the pitbike throttle cable and tube assembly worked out nice ,the old cable and tube was flogged and the kill switch was broken off ,so had my old xl 185 switch sitting in a box she looks ok ,my old stock drz 400 footpegs only need about half a mm ground out to fit and a custom bolt stopper ,cant go wrong ,shes not pedigree anymore but she feels nice ,cheers greg
Attachments
DSCN3962.JPG
DSCN3962.JPG (85.58 KiB) Viewed 34658 times
DSCN3963.JPG
DSCN3963.JPG (131.92 KiB) Viewed 34658 times
DSCN3967.JPG
DSCN3967.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Greg those DRZ footpegs look pretty comfortable.
I notice that the LH footpeg mount plate has been repaired at some stage. Seeing that, I suggest you have a good look around the frame for any cracks. It takes quite a bit of hard riding to crack those footpeg mounts so the frame might have some cracks too. Likely spots are on the front downtubes where the headstock gussets finish, the joints where the swingarm arms join the pivot tube, and the frame downtubes a couple of inches above the footpegs.
I only know how much hard use it takes to break those frames because I managed to cause most of those failures on my TY175B when I was a teenager who liked testing the limits. They are tough but not indestructible

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nazzy175b » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:01 am

the frame looks ok cant see any cracks ,will post some pics of interesting features ,looks like a rear shock mount mod ? is the kickstart holder thingy standard ? the side cover emblem ? could be off some other make of bike ? also might be shopping for a set of rear shocks ,any suggestions on brands and lenth would be great im 84 kilo ,and just going to be a hobby bike nothing serious ,thanks cheers greg
Attachments
DSCN3970.JPG
DSCN3970.JPG (89.4 KiB) Viewed 25313 times
DSCN3971.JPG
DSCN3971.JPG (73.55 KiB) Viewed 25313 times
DSCN3969.JPG
DSCN3969.JPG (84.22 KiB) Viewed 25313 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:57 am

Kickstart holder non-standard. The kickstart lever swivel joint has a finite life and the first thing that usually fails is the indent that holds the lever stored while you are riding. You can buy the parts from Yamaha but they are expensive. Some people use rubber bands. That idea looks neat but might catch on your pants or boots.
Yes extra top shockie mounts added. A common mod
With shockies you get what you pay for. There are nice looking chrome plated shockies available that resemble original TY shockies and are pretty cheap, but have springs that would hold up a Jumbo jet and primitive damping. At the other end are high quality shocks for $600 to $1200 like Magicals and Ohlins. In the middle are a few types that you commonly see used at trials competitions that cost a few hundred $ and work pretty well. Betor, Falcon, NJB. Most popular and cheapest of the mid range shocks are the basic Betors with a gas valve. They work either way up. For a Ty175 you can use 340mm or 360mm, depending on how high you want the back end of the bike to be. There is also a choice of spring rate 40 or 50 lb/inch. I would say 40 pound springs would be good for you. http://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandtrial ... 340mm.html

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:35 pm

As David only answered the easy questions I will answer the difficult on he overlooked, the 175 badge. It is from a 1969 to 1973 Honda CB175. As this is a Honda part and has no place on a Yamaha it must be removed at once.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:27 pm

PA wrote:As David only answered the easy questions I will answer the difficult on he overlooked, the 175 badge. It is from a 1969 to 1973 Honda CB175. As this is a Honda part and has no place on a Yamaha it must be removed at once.

Thanks PA my main problem with that badge is that my Yamaha keyboard blocks the typing of that particular word (the word between 1973 and CB175)

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nazzy175b » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 pm

thanks PA mystery solved , will leave it on for now I like it ,it matches the xl 185 kill switch on the ty hrr hrr ,orederd 12/52 cogs ,bike was running 14/48 ,ran 40:1 fuel today felt nice way less smokey went over all the nuts I could find ,and lifted the forks 25 mm feels good thanks guys cheers

Return to “All about....me!”