New bloke

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 247

New bloke

Postby OlDaz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 am

G'day folks, I'm an old new bloke here. Recently bought a derelict Montesa Cota 247 "Verion Ulf Karlsson" to repair/restore as a summer project. I'll be looking for parts over the next couple months, so hoping some on here may be able to help.
Been out of bikes for the last 25 (or so) years, but lots of mostly British bikes during late '50's through '60's. I had what I believe was the first TY250B into North Qld back in early '70's (don't remember exact date) also rode a '38 AJS250 in a couple trials.
First question, powder-coat or 2 pack for the frame when I get to it?
Cheers.

Still remembering when.....

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Re: New bloke

Postby Jools » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Welcome Daz... nice project.
I think most people would recommend Powder coat for the frame, -it tends to be harder and more durable - important for a dirt bike.
But be aware of oven heating issues involved with Powdercoating... eg the curing temps can destroy fibre S/A bushings and the like.
If you have the spray gear, 2K is ok, (but not a pleasant job to do- getting into all those nooks and crannies).

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby OlDaz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks Jools, frame and rear forks will be completely stripped out (couple small repairs needed), so oven heat shouldn't be a problem.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Welcome OlDaz

relax, nothing is under control

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby OlDaz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks David. Project seems to have started a bit earlier than expected. I found I needed to strip things down to find just what parts I need and need to repair. So it's stripped to bare frame and sand-blasted to A clean it up and B so I could do a full inspection. Just as well as I discovered frame cracks as well as missing mounting tabs all over the place. Cracks have been ground out, welded and reinforced, then stress relieved and all missing tabs replaced. A heap of parts has arrived from overseas and local supply, with more on the way. The bike was a lot worse than first thought as all "bits" were badly weather damaged from years of neglect and weather exposure. Hold up at the moment is the fork tubes, one is usable but the other needs full grind and hard chroming, so I need either one good second hand tube, or pack the pair off to Brisbane.
Anyone have a spare reasonable fork tube to suit??
Attachments
DSC_0040.JPG
DSC_0040.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 19408 times

Rupert
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: suzuki
Club: bugs

Postby Rupert » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi! Have you finished it?

I don't know if my family members are playing at this site. Well, I hope so. Coz mega joker slot com is a thing of perfection to me. There is so much fun there.

Return to “All about....me!”