New Gumbie

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

New Gumbie

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm

So, 40 years ago, I had a DT125 E monoshock. It was great fun. However, my mates bought roadbikes. OOOps!. So, despite starting off with Montessa Cota 247 (thanks Col, for lending a kid your wonderful bike) I had joined the darkside and then later, I joined an even darker side ---- the leased car.

So here I am, 56 and trying to make up for it. I bought a new road bike but I also bought a DT175, 2002. When I started it, it sounded just like 40 years ago.It's extraordinary how sounds resonate in the memory.

However, these days I want to get into slow trail bike/trials-like riding again. Practicing slow wheelies this week lead me to wrenched arm muscles - and I fear I am, a complete gumby. I need adult supervision.

One day, a pukkah trials bike might figure but for the moment, a geared down, ex-chase the cows dirt bike, DT 175, is it. Very low Ks, and the nostalgia factor is hard to beat.

Is there a place for me in your world? Which club? Living near Shepparton. Learning to slip the clutch.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: New Gumbie

Postby David Lahey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 am

Welcome Dr.
Good to hear you are getting interested in trials again. There are lots of blokes of our era still riding trials.
One thing about the DT175 monoshock models (I ride a DT175G) is that while it is a great bike to ride sitting down and excellent for the nostalgia aspect of dirt bike riding, they have poor ergonomics when standing. The main problem is that the footpegs are about 100-150mm too far forwards to suit riding when standing on the pegs. If you can mod the footpeg location you will have a much easier time riding trials.

relax, nothing is under control

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 pm

David,
Thanks for the reply. The bike was definitely set up for sitting down when I got it but a bit of playing around with handlebars and levers has helped. It has passenger footpegs which might be utilised at a pinch as far as getting pegs to the rear. I am also thinking about dropping the forks down the clamps a little and may be using a lighter weight fork oil. I should probably post in a different section about this. Do people ride trail bikes in trials events?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 am

There have been a few in the last 10 years that I have seen but they have been modified to made them more suitable. CT3, DT175, TS185, TS185ER and Honda CT200 come to mind. Footpeg location and turning circle are the main mods. Yes softening suspension at both ends is also important

relax, nothing is under control

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi David,
It's all moot about the trail bike now. Phil at the TCV has connected me with a fully restored TY250C (he is keen to support twin-shocks) and has that shown up the shortcomings of DT175 trail bike WRT going slow with any kind of finesse.

After realising that the DT was never going to cut it as a pukkah trials weapon, I then started riding it at like at gentle trail bike speeds (10-20 kmh) and it seemed much happier with me as a result. Yes, it did do the slow stuff, but it made me work for it.

I think one of the lessons I take away from this is that using a bike for its intended purpose is one of the smarter decisions a person can make.

Just so with my cruiser, if I just I just choof into and around town then its cool. The bike is happy, I am happy and its a nice ride. If I want to go further afield then it will make me work/punish me for it. Better if I am in the car.

So I have DT 175 looking for a new owner. But I am grateful for having owned this bike even if it is just for a short time. Dirt bikes were a little nostalgic for me, especially Yamaha DTs, and this general all-purpose machine gave me the opportunity to figure out which way I wanted to ride, fast and furious or slow and measured.

Return to “All about....me!”