New to Trials Brisbane Northside

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Tiggs
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250 twin shock

New to Trials Brisbane Northside

Postby Tiggs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi all, great to be a member of this forum. I’m 51 and I have just purchased an old 1976 Yamaha TY250 (darks blue & white) and would like to get involved in trials riding. I need to do a couple of things to it, but overall it’s in reasonably good original condition. The first thing on the list are the narrow pegs, if anyone can point me in the right direction. Any advice on anything related to my old TY would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited! Cheers, Tim

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa, SWM, Ossa
Club: TMTC

Re: New to Trials Brisbane Northside

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Nice work Tim,

KX65 footpegs fit to a TY175 with a small amount of angle grinding and work quite well, not sure if they fit the 250 though.

De-coking the exhaust by burning on a fire or similar is a must as it transforms a 40 year old gummed up exhaust and allows the engine to breath as it was designed.

A half decent set of rear shocks (Rockshocks cant go wrong) and fork springs (Magicals) transform the handling as well.

That's my 2 bobs and I'll channel Mark Knopfler with this:

Calling feetupfun - is anybody home
Calling feetupfun - Tiggs is here all alone
Did he leave the building
Or can he come to the phone

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:56 pm

If you have a welder and some scrap steel available, I just made my footpeg extensions myself. A bit of flat bar welded onto the original peg and grind the serrations in - viola.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Kurt wrote:Nice work Tim,

KX65 footpegs fit to a TY175 with a small amount of angle grinding and work quite well, not sure if they fit the 250 though.

De-coking the exhaust by burning on a fire or similar is a must as it transforms a 40 year old gummed up exhaust and allows the engine to breath as it was designed.

A half decent set of rear shocks (Rockshocks cant go wrong) and fork springs (Magicals) transform the handling as well.

That's my 2 bobs and I'll channel Mark Knopfler with this:

The new security arrangements for Trials Australia forums have caught me out badly. I've checked for new posts on TA about 50 times since Tim's posting (without logging in) but it wasn't until I actually logged in tonight (Friday) that all these new postings appeared!

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Tiggs wrote:Hi all, great to be a member of this forum. I’m 51 and I have just purchased an old 1976 Yamaha TY250 (darks blue & white) and would like to get involved in trials riding. I need to do a couple of things to it, but overall it’s in reasonably good original condition. The first thing on the list are the narrow pegs, if anyone can point me in the right direction. Any advice on anything related to my old TY would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited! Cheers, Tim

Tim there's a few ways to get a TY250 feeling nice footpeg-wise.
Like many bikes from the past, they can be made more comfortable by fitting bigger footpegs and depending on how tall you are, moving them too.
Many people find the standard footpeg location too high for comfort. Lowering them also makes it easier to balance the bike. If you get off a modern trials bike and onto a standard TY250, the footpegs will seem to be much higher, because they are.
There are off-the-shelf footpeg kits that have comfortable footrests and relocate the pegs lower and they also stick further out.
The supplier of these is in the UK and is called Feked
https://www.feked.com/yamaha-ty250-twin ... -type.html
Another option is to make your own mounts. I've done this with a TY250 and welded standard universal footpeg mounts to it. The pegs in the photo are cast steel HEBO brand and came on a modern bike that my wife used to ride and are very nice but there are heaps of other nice big footpegs that fit the same standard mount hangers. The triangular mounting plates are made from 5mm steel plate and the upper attachment point is the stub from where I cut off the original peg mounts.
IMAG6900.jpg
IMAG6900.jpg (969.63 KiB) Viewed 10929 times
IMAG6901.jpg
IMAG6901.jpg (1016.5 KiB) Viewed 10929 times

These peg mounts are low enough that I also had to remake the brake pedal so it cleared the rear right bashplate mount when the pedal is depressed.
As Kurt said it makes a huge difference to how well they go if you make the suspension work properly. The bike in the photo has just had some work done in that area and feels awesome to ride. There are magical springs and modified damper rods in the forks and some new 350mm Falcon shocks with 50 lb springs. In fact it was Kurt and Greg Harding who motivated me to stiffen up the front ends on my twinshock trials bikes and I'm loving it.
The gearing is important too. The most popular ratio for the TY250 for trials seems to be 4.4:1. It makes the bike useless on the road but great in sections.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Kurt wrote:That's my 2 bobs and I'll channel Mark Knopfler with this:

8) That's going to be stuck in my head for a while now Kurt

Tiggs
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250 twin shock

Postby Tiggs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Thank you for the great advice!
Loved the jingle.
I’m looking forward to sorting out the few things needed to make it a great fun bike. :D

Return to “All about....me!”