VALE ANNIE BROKAW

Discussions, newsletters about matters relating to women in trials.

Moderator: Moderators

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

VALE ANNIE BROKAW

Postby BAT Woman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Obituary - Emily Anne (Annie) Brokaw
Emily Anne (Annie) Brokaw passed away December 22, 2007. She maintained her health despite breast cancer from 2001 until last May, when she could no longer continue the enjoyment of riding her motorcycles with her husband, Bill Brokaw. Annie was born 1-1-1936 in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Following a courtship by mail, Bill swept her away to California, marrying June 25, 1955. They both were raised in motorcycling families and together shared their passion for riding. Their final big adventure was riding the dirt roads of the Sierra Madre Mountains of Mexico January 2007.
The couple took over the family motorcycle business in California in 1957. In 1965 they expanded and relocated the business to Colorado Springs, the second business opening in the Motor City development; closing in 1992.
After raising their two daughters, Annie’s throttle hand started twitching. She became adept at a wide range of motorcycle sport and competition, often humbling the men who were always her competition, and often half her age. It is speculated that Annie actively participated in more facets of motorcycle sport than any other lady in America. At the age of 61 she became the first woman to race a motorcycle in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, garnering national attention. In 2004 she was selected for the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame, winning the coveted and rare Lifetime Achievement Award. Her greatest victory remains the love of her family.
Annie leaves behind husband Bill, daughters Kerrie Brokaw Pattison (Roger) of Taos Ski Valley, Kelly Brokaw Sears (Kevin) of Colorado Springs, grandsons, Aaron and Alex Dubois, brother Don Frazine (Charlotte) of Tennessee, nieces and a nephew.

I was deeply saddened to hear of Annie's passing. When I went to the US, in 1986, to spend a summer riding the USA Trials Nationals with Kerrie (Annie & Bill’s daughter & USA’s Top Women’s Rider), Annie was 50 years old. I worked in their Motorbike Shop when we were not travelling & commandeered the shop ‘ute’. We enjoyed many outings on push bikes, road bikes, trail bikes & trials bikes. When we went trials riding with Annie & Bill, I could not believe that a women of her age was still riding & riding really well. I never even thought of riding at that age. But, she impressed me so much, she became a role model for me & inspired me to keep riding. Now, as I enter my 50th year, I have Annie to thank for showing me the way, not to listen to convention & critics but just keep doing what you love to do for as long as you want. Annie's daughters & daughter's in kind & our daughters too, can live their lives to the fullest having witnessed her amazing, quiet, confidence of achieving what she wanted & knew she could do. Thank you Annie, your legacy will continue to grow for generations.
Much love from Bev Anderson-Tranter

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Re: VALE ANNIE BROKAW

Postby Neo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi BAT Woman,

I’m a bit surprised that no women have posted any replies on this subject yet. :shock:

But I’m know that Vale’s story is an inspiration to Nikki, and I hope, it will be an inspiration to many women that could enjoy (and be good on) a motorbike, if they'd just try riding one.

At private Trial event, I once spoke to a lady (in her 40’s) that was riding a small dirt bike for the first time. She rode the tracks there, almost no-stop, for the two days I was there. And she said it was best fun she’d ever had.

The best of balance to our hero’s and heroin’s of the past .

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Return to “Women in Trials”