2T oil ratio RL Suzuki ....sorry.

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Finally1
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Suzuki rl
Club: Mine

2T oil ratio RL Suzuki ....sorry.

Postby Finally1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:57 am

Hate to dig this old chestnut up, but after reading what I can find about it I am probably more confused. I use Motorex fully synthetic in my modern enduro bike at 55:1. But that's a water cooled engine using todays metals and designed for unleaded fuel. The RL of course is air cooled, maybe inferior metallurgy, and used leaded fuels and asked for 20:1 mineral oil. They also have that oil spinner thing on the crank to oil one of the main bearings, but that probably isn't any issue. So without any science to confirm what should be used and at what ratio, I guess the easiest thing is to ask long term RL 250 owners that still use them frequently what they use successfully and what they know that doesn't work. Thanks.

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: RL250
Club: Darwin motorcyle club

Re: 2T oil ratio RL Suzuki ....sorry.

Postby brent j » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Finally1 wrote:Hate to dig this old chestnut up, but after reading what I can find about it I am probably more confused. I use Motorex fully synthetic in my modern enduro bike at 55:1. But that's a water cooled engine using todays metals and designed for unleaded fuel. The RL of course is air cooled, maybe inferior metallurgy, and used leaded fuels and asked for 20:1 mineral oil. They also have that oil spinner thing on the crank to oil one of the main bearings, but that probably isn't any issue. So without any science to confirm what should be used and at what ratio, I guess the easiest thing is to ask long term RL 250 owners that still use them frequently what they use successfully and what they know that doesn't work. Thanks.

I use MOTUL800 at around 45-50:1. It burns cleanly, doesn't foul plugs but still leaves a film of oil on everything.
RL's don't use the oil slinger on the crank, they rely purely on the oil in the fuel mix.
On my own RL I have fitted an oil pump just to feed oil to the LHS main bearing and big end, I used the pump, one oil line and slinger from a TS250A motor that also donated the clutch and ignition covers. My 50:1 ratio includes the oil sent to the crank as well as what I put in the fuel

Return to “Technical help”