Yamaha TY250A Speedometer Rebuild

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

thornie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250A

Re: Yamaha TY250A Speedometer Rebuild

Postby thornie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Mark,
Your attachment with the 0-120km face is exactly like the one I am restoring from the front. The correct bracket for this speedometer is a round circle band with a return leg that attaches to the front fork. The band fits over the rear body of the speedometer and is sized to be an interference fit with a rubber gasket between it and the main case.
I would be interested to see a side elevation of your speedometer to confirm they are the same unit,
As a matter of interest I have removed the speedometer face by gently prising up the return of the face ring. This took about 45 minutes and the use of a illuminated magnifying lamp assisted the task. The rubber gasket securing the glass had hardened and allowed moisture to entry with subsequent rusting to the inner case and face glass backing ring. The speedometer case has two weep holes in the rear for this but these look ineffective.
So lots of rust and I have not checked the speedometer mechanism but I intend to continue and see what I can make of it and I`m still interested in acquiring a better one.

Whistler
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250B
Club: Nil

Postby Whistler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:08 am

David Lahey wrote:As Jon suggested there are lots of TY speedos out there on shelves. I have a few I don't need, but they have all been used. What are the properties you are wanting to see in a TY speedo to make it "good"?

I realise it was some time ago, 5 years, but I'm chasing a used speedo for a 1975 TY250 B, most TY 175's and 250's used the same part number. Don't mind restoring it providing it works and is not corroded/ rusted in terms of the face.

Whistler
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Whistler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Whistler wrote:
David Lahey wrote:As Jon suggested there are lots of TY speedos out there on shelves. I have a few I don't need, but they have all been used. What are the properties you are wanting to see in a TY speedo to make it "good"?

I realise it was some time ago, 5 years, but I'm chasing a used speedo for a 1975 TY250 B, most TY 175's and 250's used the same part number. Don't mind restoring it providing it works and is not corroded/ rusted in terms of the face.

Can I buy one off you?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Whistler wrote:
Whistler wrote:

Can I buy one off you?

Sorry I just realised that that you question was probably aimed at me.
Mine are all used and they are all damaged aesthetically one way or another. If you explain a bit more what you are wanting I will get them out and have a look. Which bit are you calling the face and are you after just the speedo or the cable as well and other bits from the wheel that drive the cable? Does it matter if they are in miles or kilometres? I can't remember which speedo came off what model.
Regards
David

relax, nothing is under control

Whistler
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Whistler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for responding Dave.
Just not keen if the inner dial or face is damaged or corrroded. Providing you have one that is in restorable condition it can be in miles or km. If necessary I may be able to have it professionally restored. Can you please send some photos of the best of the bunch? Alternatively I could go for a ride and come take a look if its ok with you and you live in the Brisbane, Sunshine or Gold Coast areas.
What do you want for a unit?
Regards
Chris.

Whistler
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Whistler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Further more Dave, the steel chrome casing can be scratched as I believe it can be removed and then brazed and rechromed.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Wow you sound pretty serious about restoring a TY speedo.
I'll have a look and take photos - probably on the weekend.
Location is sunny Gladstone and you are welcome to visit if you want

Whistler
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Whistler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Bugger was only down that way a few weeks ago. I have a new cable and everything else bar the support bracket. The B to D models, 175 and 250 had the same part number.
Will give a dedicated ride a miss, Gladstone is a bit far and will be in Isa next week.
Looking forward to your pics.
20161231_193001.jpg
20161231_193001.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 13281 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am

Sorry Whistler it looks like I have sold all my spare TY speedos in the intervening years since the original post and only have the one that came on the TY175B that I have owned since 1976 and I intend to keep that one
I'm sure there are lots of others out there still.

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm

What would a TY175 speedo be worth?

Return to “Technical help”