returning to this sport

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shawn James
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco 2012,TY Pinky

returning to this sport

Postby Shawn James » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi, I'm looking at getting back onboard a trials after close to 20yrs, needing some help on bike selection.I'm thinking at any monoshock/watercooled/twin disc model would be more than enough to start back on.
Any coments would be helpful.
Shawn.

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Re: returning to this sport

Postby Rob W » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:45 am

G'day Shawn,

wood'n wrote:any monoshock/watercooled/twin disc model would be more than enough to start back on.

Yep your right, any would do. Old yammies are fairly easy to come by and I've seen some older beta zeros around. But have you ridden a later model bike; they are very nice? There are several trials families around Toowoomba that I'm sure would let you test ride one - I'd offer but we BBQ'ed all ours and haven't got replacements yet. Western Districts Trials Club will be having a club day near Toowoomba early in the new year. Send me a PM with your email so I can let you know when.

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:38 am

I agree with Rob W, most of the newish bikes will do everything you want. Here is an example 1997-2000 2 strokes go for about $3-4k. 2000 - 2004 2 strokes can go for $4 - 6k.
Anything 4 stroke is usualy $5 -6k upwards.

BUT unless you are at the pinicle of competition all of these bikes will do everything you need.

If it was down to me ( wich it was when I bought my bike) I would buy a late 90's in fantastic condition.

I bought a Montesa 315r ( looked like brand new, and I mean that ) 1997 2 stroke for $3750.

Could have spent more but chose to spend the remainder on an ag bike CT185, at least that way me and a mate can do some trials.

Cheers Gordo ( hooray that was my 100th post)

Shawn James
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Shawn James » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:47 am

I was hoping to only spend about $1000.00 on a oldie as i wont be on it all the time. when did most of the makes go over to twin disc

Shawn from T-bar {Toowoomba}

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 am

If you are only going to spend $1000 you would be better off forgeting about anything in particular that you want on the bike, like twin discs ( I presume you mean front and rear ) and would be better off looking long and hard for one that is in good mechanical condition, I know of several people riding bikes for the money you are talking about and ended up spending at least another $1000 getting them running properly. I would say a good choice for you would be as late a model as you can find Honda TL 200 / 250. My advice in older bikes would be to go for a four stroke even though they are a bit heavy, at least once they are running right they are likely to be reliable for a long time.
Also depending on the type of riding you want to do consider an ag bike, it will go nearly every where. I have a Honda ct185 picked it up for a couple of hundred.

Cheers Gordo

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:25 am

There is a TL 250 Honda (latest bid $910) and TY250 Yamaha (starting bid $1100) on ebay at the moment. I would lean toward the Yamaha but that is just me - I have three of them.

Starky

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 am

I would lean toward the Honda I have four of them ( beat that ).
( all in good humour )

Seriously though I do think Older 4 strokes are cheaper to run over a period of years, even without my bias toward Honda.

I have a simple philosophy. Motorbike = buy Honda
Car/Truck = buy Toyota.

I have owned about 30 bikes, 15 or so have been Honda. I recon I have spent 80% OF MY MAINTAINANCE money on the other 15. ( the non Honda bikes have all been japanese ). Although to be fair one of them was hit by lightning.

CHeers Gordo

motodevo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby motodevo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm

they can be found for under a grand, you just have to hunt them out and maybe lower you expectations a little. I bought my bike for 950, it was advertised on this site, a 87 Fantic 243, motor like new and still running strong, monoshock-yes, disc front and rear-yes, watercooled-no, with as new tyres and the only wear being rub marks on the stickers. But the downside is its a fantic so you have to buy your parts from o/s and they aren't too common so be prepared to hunt around. If i was you i'd go for an 80's ty250 mono, nice bike to ride, easy to get parts for and parts are plentiful(for a trials bike) and you should find a nice one for a grand or so

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:16 pm

gordonmichaellee wrote:I would lean toward the Honda I have four of them ( beat that ).
( all in good humour )

Seriously though I do think Older 4 strokes are cheaper to run over a period of years, even without my bias toward Honda.

I have a simple philosophy. Motorbike = buy Honda
Car/Truck = buy Toyota.

I have owned about 30 bikes, 15 or so have been Honda. I recon I have spent 80% OF MY MAINTAINANCE money on the other 15. ( the non Honda bikes have all been japanese ). Although to be fair one of them was hit by lightning.

CHeers Gordo

Gordon

I just sold my very very beautiful 1983 TLR200 and bought a TY250B. Each to his own and there realy is nothing wrong with a good Honda like all bikes.

I agree with the Toyota

And I raise you one, in my family Harley Davidson (or mid life crises) = Mazda MX5. That way I don't get wet and I can see my wife.

Starky

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Shawn James
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Shawn James » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:52 pm

ok then, if i wait i should be able to find somthing.
With no offroad riding in the last 15years, mid eighties would do me fine, as for the one who suggested a agie bike, I dont think so, I do have some standards.
so around 1000-1500 should pull it up somewhere, i'm not going to try and win the aus championships, all i want is a bike i can go out on a sunday morning and enjoy myself without the pressure of going flatout thru the bush on a endruo and hurting myself, i'm not twenty any more and being self employed i cant afford it.
Cheers, Shawn

Shawn from T-bar {Toowoomba}

Return to “Trials Talk”