Cota for sale?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Reece91
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR250

Cota for sale?

Postby Reece91 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has a Cota 242 round about 1984/5 for sale in queensland, recently was outbid on the one on ebay, so if theres anymore available, would love to here from you. Hope you other guys at classic dirt 8 had as much fun as i did.

Reece

BOGWHEEL
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: TCQ

Re: Cota for sale?

Postby BOGWHEEL » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 am

Very hard to get parts for later models.
Ebay bike had broken kick start gear/s and incorrect kick start lever - was not able to source either whilst the auction was on.

Reece91
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR250

Postby Reece91 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Kick starter is fixable, have the same issue with my ty, Any other mid 80's twinshocks for sale at the moment?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 am

If you can get hold of 242 Montesa kick-start gears, get them advertised on Ebay, and they will sell for very good money.

scrivo
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby scrivo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm

The 242 for sale on EBAY was a series 1 from late '83/84 the '84/85 model has the red plastic fuel tank. The '84/85 model was in the latest VMX mag. Some bloke in NSW has one :D

Recently Sandiford's in the UK has 242 kick starts on EBAY and they did not sell so search the UK EBAY and they may be back on. Jared at South West Montesa in the US may be able to help with a new or used on. The last model Cota 200 and the Cota 304 has the same kickstart I believe. In Motion Trials in the UK has them on their WEB site for a resonable price (replica I think) and their stuff is always good and easy to deal with.

The kick start gears are a different matter. There are at least four versions of the gears during the 200 - then 242 series 1 & 2. The problem is that you can not mix the different versions. The problem is caused by people jabbing at the kick starter instead of engaging the gear before giving a very firm kick. There was a guy in the UK makng replacements for lots of money but I have not seen them for about 12mths. Contact SW Montesa or In Motion Trials.

The problem results from a retaining plate on the intermediate gear bending and allowing the intermediate gear to drift out thus reducing the amount of gear engaged and overloading the remaining part of the teeth.

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 pm

There's a white tank (84) 242 over here in WA going for around $200 VGC, if someone is interested PM me and i'll pass on the guys number.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 pm

The problem is caused by the kick start mechanism being originally designed for a 125cc motor...............hence very fragile, and almost certain to fail at some stage!

scrivo
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby scrivo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:50 am

Yes the original kick start mechanism was designed for the 123 and also used in the 125 MX bikes and H, H6 & H7 125 enduro bikes. They all used the same basic engine design. The gears were OK for the Cota 123 although still sometimes failed. The 172 had a serious problem and the gear train was redesigned at least once during that series. The gears were again redesigned at least once during the 200 series and again at least twice during the 242 series. There may have been further updates during the 304 and 307 series I am not sure.

The later 242 had less of a problem but it has always been a weakness from the 172 onwards. The problem is really two fold. Riders kick repeatedly in rapid succession which means the kickstart mechanism does not fully engage and secondly one of the gears is retained by a thin metal plate which wears and then bends allowing the gear to float out and only partially mesh with its mate and therefore fails.

I agree the design is less than ideal and is the weakness of these bikes. The parts are almost impossible to locate and you can not mix the various upgrades as the gear design, bearing sizes and widths changed so you need the correct gear for your bike or a full set of gears. It does spoil the otherwise outstanding bike that the 242 is.

mta
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby mta » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am

I have a cota 349 in 100% original condition ready to ride if u want photos and details, can send them to you,i am in vic.

czmadman
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 250 cz
Club: nil

Postby czmadman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Just joined this forum. I would be interested in the white cota 242 in WA. I tried to send a PM to yamfan but is is still in my out box. not sure if this means that it did not send.
Yamfan please let me know if the bike is still available. A text to 0459835033 with the contact number would be fine thanks

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”