Grades?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Grades?

Postby yamfan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, I have noticed that the latest Vic results have a Trial 4 plus grade C+ ? why did we move to the new grading system with equal steps to the next grade and then invent another grade?

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Re: Grades?

Postby outforfun » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Yamfan, was it an extra grade or just explaining for people to understand the new grade names compared to the old ones?
As in trial 4 is C grade.

I think the number system was because it seems trials in Australia is a kin to the railway system. Every state needs to reinvent the wheel and have it's own system to feel the have a unique ID, rather than having a unilaterally recognised system so that riders from all states can easily identify the grade they ride in a different state. State titles for example.

I am not quite sure why the + grade is added to grades. It is kind of like telling the kids if they don't do the right thing by the time you count to 3... 1, 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4... No wonder some clubs have trouble with all of the grades at their events.

I may be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa, SWM, Ossa
Club: TMTC

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm

outforfun - I believe the number of grades is the same between QLD and VIC.
If we compare (the old names) between states:
Expert=Expert
A grade = A grade
B grade = B grade
C grade = C+ grade
Clubperson = C Grade
Introductory = Clubman

Why is there a '+' Grade?
The answer to this is in the history of the grades. C+ started in Tasmania because it was recognised that there was too big of a gap between C and B grades at the time.

Instead of setting a whole new line for another grade to bridge this gap it was decided that riders could follow the existing C grade line and deviate from this to a more difficult obstacle where appropriate denoted by C grade arrows with a + marked on them.
Therefore it was decided to call this new class C+ Grade.

From this position it is logical to include a Trial 4+ grade due to the ease of transitioning from the old grade system structure.

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 am

Totally agree with the logic behind the C+ grade however I believe the new Trial 12345 system was introduced so that (in theory) all grades have an equal step between the next grade. Therefore to step up or down doesn't necessarily mean you will either be way behind the eight ball if you go up or creaming everyone if you go down. Most grades were supposed to be dumbed down to implement this not retain the + grades.

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 am

Now I can understand why I have heard about the slight issue with 6 grades and only 5 in supp regs. Thanks for the explanation.

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 am

Yes, the C / C+ grades make it more difficult for Observers too because the markers and plates are the same colour (blue).
Perhaps this could be addressed? Yes I know a + sign is supposed to be on the plate and markers, but in the 'heat of the action' it can be hard to see them and keep track of what route a rider has to take.

Return to “Trials Talk”