Show us a picture of your Twinshock or Classic Trials bike

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Re: Show us a picture of your Twinshock or Classic Trials bike

Postby Jon V8 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:05 am

My little James J9 Commando at the Golden Valley Classic Presidents trial today.(The one in the middle of the three) Can't be very often three of them are seen at a trial together, but there were 107 other bikes there being ridden... Lovely day out in the sun for a change,its been a long cold and wet winter here.
Attachments
James x3.jpg
James x3.jpg (308.82 KiB) Viewed 9163 times

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Hey Jon, good to see the James out I bet it was a bit easier to ride than your usual rigid.
Are you riding the Manx Classic 2 day this year, I will be there on the same Cub that I rode in 2015.
Have a look at my topic on this website about coping with a puncture in a trial like the Manx, is there a decent kit you would recommend carrying ?
Cheers
Rog G (in Brisbane)

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi Roger,sorry I won't be at the Manx this year,not yet done it but a mate raves about it.One day... Concentrating on buying and building bikes this year,in the middle of a B44 Victor build from scratch,there is a limit to spending on bikes and its an expensive deal to do the Manx.
I must confess I don't carry a puncture outfit,tyres moving on the rim even with 2 new security bolts has been a problem of late.I run 8-10psi in the back of my AJS with a tube type IRC,but the last couple I've had have been prone to moving and pulling on the valve. So the security nut is left off and just a plastic dust cap used on the valve. I do use the 4mm Michelin enduro tubes in the rear,and have had no problems with them apart from a valve ripping out with a new tyre that wouldn't stay put.
I'd be more worried about the Cub's motor I think ! Good luck, and are you doing any other events while you are over ?

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Jon, sorry for slow response.
i'm only getting to UK Aug 15th, borrowing the same Cub from Col Smith that i rode in 2015 but i understand it hasn't been started since then, so will need maintenance and testing in not much time before Manx Classic.
I'm into TY Yamaha's at the moment as our Classic scene has just about died over the last 18 months and isn't looking good for the future, somebody here will tell me differently no doubt.
As for punctures, have you tried the Slime products or heard any comment about how good it is ?
Cheers

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 am

Twinshock200 wrote:Hi Jon, sorry for slow response.
i'm only getting to UK Aug 15th, borrowing the same Cub from Col Smith that i rode in 2015 but i understand it hasn't been started since then, so will need maintenance and testing in not much time before Manx Classic.
I'm into TY Yamaha's at the moment as our Classic scene has just about died over the last 18 months and isn't looking good for the future, somebody here will tell me differently no doubt.
As for punctures, have you tried the Slime products or heard any comment about how good it is ?
Cheers

No worries, that Cub is going to need a bit of time on it to get it right for the Manx - Hope all the fuel was well drained... My Ty250 hardly ever gets used now,the kids ride it a bit. Just got back from the first day of the local Somerton Classic British Bike 2 day. I think there are over 100 bikes entered, some really nice bikes.
I wouldn't get too hung up about the punctures, with decent tubes and tyres I can't see it being a problem,I run at least 8psi in the back of my ajs and rarely need to worry about grip.I've no experience of the slime type products - Sorry.
Doing other bike stuff now, hoping to go over to France next year for the Normandy Landings 75th anniversary. Just need another G3l Matchless...

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 247

Postby OlDaz » Fri May 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Just finished rebuilding. Cota 247 Version Ulf Karlson
Attachments
Monty.jpg
Monty.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 6849 times

Still remembering when.....

PinkyTY
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250R
Club: AJS

Postby PinkyTY » Fri May 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Mighty Mouse, a multi year project using left overs from a previous project....
My Own Mighty Mouse Reduced.jpg
My Own Mighty Mouse Reduced.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6824 times

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 247

Postby OlDaz » Sat May 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Don't know if it worked yesterday, so here's my Version Ulf Karlson Montesa Cota 247. Just finished it.
Attachments
Monty.jpg
Monty.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 6764 times

Still remembering when.....

Gomey
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Honda RTL
Club: SQTA/LRMTC

Postby Gomey » Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 am

Here is my 1982 Merlin DG3.50
I bought this out of Boston in USA. It spent probably 20 years in boxes. I found all the NOS parts required for a rebuild and finally got it running. This bike is number 7 off the production line and was rumored to be left over from a world round.
Attachments
38E7C476-BF72-4ACE-8451-9958B56223D9.jpeg
38E7C476-BF72-4ACE-8451-9958B56223D9.jpeg (185.17 KiB) Viewed 6738 times

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”